Issues on Shift Register in a Clockless UART

Started by Shashi April 20, 2004
shashi22k@rediffmail.com (Shashi) wrote in message news:<7cdabebf.0404201535.de4bbe8@posting.google.com>...
> Hi, > I'm doing a project in clockless uart..as u know that the primary > function of uart is parallel to serial conversion while transmitting > and serial to paralel conversion while receiving..I was wondering if > someone could tell me as how can i do a parallel to serial conversion > and vice versa without using a clock. > > Thank You > SHASHI
Say... Do you mean an "asynchronous" UART? You *do* have a system clock available to the FPGA, right? Something in the MHz range?
Peter Alfke wrote:

(in answer to a question about a clockless UART)

> Simple answer: You cannot. You can of course generate your own clock...
Someone I know used to have a paper tape reader that you would pull the tape through by hand. A row of phototransistors and LEDs would sense the holes as they went by, including the row of clock holes. I had wondered about making a card reader using a similar design, but there are no clock holes. It would be necessary to either run the card at a constant speed, or otherwise measure the speed or position of the card. A rubber wheel and phototransistor/LED sensor to read its position should be enough. Paper tape is self clocking but punched cards are not. -- glen