Networking Board Recommendation

Started by step...@gmail.com January 21, 2010
All,

Could someone point me to a board or boards that combine a modern FPGA
with multiple ethernet PHYs?  The only multiple-ethernet board that I
have discovered is based on a V2P.

Thank you in advance.

Stephen
Stephen

Depending on what specification you need we can certainly 10/100T
multiple phys using our add-on modules for our boards. We are also
looking at doing a gigabit phy solution as well but it's not done as
yet. As an example look at the dil headers on
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/oem_industrial/mulldonnoch2.html which
without accurately pin counting should take at least 5 and maybe 7
ethernet phy modules http://www.enterpoint.co.uk/moelbryn/modules/ethernet_=
phy.html.
These dil headers appear in a number of our products so you can do the
same in other formats like PCI (Raggedstone1), PCIE (Broaddown4,
Raggedstone2-to launch shortly) and so on.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.

"stephen.craven@gmail.com" <stephen.craven@gmail.com> writes:

>All,
>Could someone point me to a board or boards that combine a modern FPGA >with multiple ethernet PHYs? The only multiple-ethernet board that I >have discovered is based on a V2P.
>Thank you in advance.
>Stephen
I'm interested in the same subject, I'd like dual gige PHYs and either PCIX or PCIE 4 lane to be able to get a fdx gige capture to the host. I assume the board you are referring to is the Digilent NetFPGA which would do me other than the PCI host bus (which won't do full speed gig). Everything else that I've found so far is expensive. For instance a pair of gige PHYs (no fpga) is around $600 US, so I am much heartened by John's comment Enterpoint is coming out with a gige PHY daughter board, I have a pair of their 10/100s PHYS already which are the only reasonably priced ones I found (other than fpga4fun's dual channel, magnetics only, 10 only, no PHY on the dragon which is the cheapest way I've found of experimenting with ethernet :-)). There is a good list of fpga boards which specify bus and ethernet options if available at: http://www.fpga-faq.com/FPGA_Boards.shtml For me for now I have a Draqon PCI board (~ $300 US) from fpga4fun and as noted two of John's PHYs to see if I can actually do what I want before investing in something gig capable. It may be worth looking at the fpga4fun pcie board (which has a virtex5 in it but no PHYS) if you are cost sensitive like me. If you have money, then the list above does have boards though :-). I'd be interested in any boards that you find as well. Peter Van Epp
On Jan 21, 6:39=A0pm, "stephen.cra...@gmail.com"
<stephen.cra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All, > > Could someone point me to a board or boards that combine a modern FPGA > with multiple ethernet PHYs? =A0The only multiple-ethernet board that I > have discovered is based on a V2P. > > Thank you in advance. > > Stephen
Both the ML505/6/7 and the ML605 boards have a Marvel 88E1111 PHY/RJ45 and a SFP cage that can support 1000BASE-X or BASE-T Ethernet modules. This gives you two ethernet ports without an expansion card. Ed McGettigan -- Xilinx Inc.