Xilinx news

Started by John Larkin January 22, 2011
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212400/Xilinx-to-shutter-French-R-D-operation

Yikes, this explains some stuff. I wonder how long it will take to
undo the damage. Our latest projects are using Altera parts, purely
because the Xilinx software is such a train wreck.

John

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:20:55 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212400/Xilinx-to-shutter-French-R-D-operation > >Yikes, this explains some stuff. I wonder how long it will take to >undo the damage.
Damage? The damage caused by closing a software development lab? Given their software, it's probably a good thing. I just tried downloading their 12.4 software last week. It wouldn't even install. The Avnet folks got me a DVD, so I'll probably try that next week.
>Our latest projects are using Altera parts, purely >because the Xilinx software is such a train wreck.
I'm using a Xilinx Coolrunner part for a very simple application, mostly because they have package better suited to the application and our SMT line (small and not a CsBGA). ISE WebPack 11.1 works reasonably well but I'm not pushing it very hard (32 flops and a half dozen I/O @ 14.7456MHz clock isn't much of a stretch ;-).
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:03:16 -0600, "krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
<krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:20:55 -0800, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >>http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212400/Xilinx-to-shutter-French-R-D-operation >> >>Yikes, this explains some stuff. I wonder how long it will take to >>undo the damage. > >Damage? The damage caused by closing a software development lab?
I meant the damage likely *done* by that lab. We'd been speculating how Xininx managed to snarl up their software so thoroughly, and whether they will ever get it fixed. I can't imagine why they'd outsource something this important to France. Given their
>software, it's probably a good thing. I just tried downloading their 12.4 >software last week.
As in "all of last week"? It wouldn't even install. The Avnet folks got me a DVD,
>so I'll probably try that next week. > >>Our latest projects are using Altera parts, purely >>because the Xilinx software is such a train wreck. > >I'm using a Xilinx Coolrunner part for a very simple application, mostly >because they have package better suited to the application and our SMT line >(small and not a CsBGA). ISE WebPack 11.1 works reasonably well but I'm not >pushing it very hard (32 flops and a half dozen I/O @ 14.7456MHz clock isn't >much of a stretch ;-).
Yeah, CPLDs don't need a lot of place-and-route effort. John
On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:10:27 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:03:16 -0600, "krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" ><krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote: > >>On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:20:55 -0800, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>>http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212400/Xilinx-to-shutter-French-R-D-operation >>> >>>Yikes, this explains some stuff. I wonder how long it will take to >>>undo the damage. >> >>Damage? The damage caused by closing a software development lab? > >I meant the damage likely *done* by that lab. We'd been speculating >how Xininx managed to snarl up their software so thoroughly, and >whether they will ever get it fixed. I can't imagine why they'd >outsource something this important to France.
I don't know why anyone would do business in France (or most of Europe), given their work rules.
> Given their >>software, it's probably a good thing. I just tried downloading their 12.4 >>software last week. > >As in "all of last week"?
It took two days to download it, at home (I'd be strung up if I did it at work) and another couple of days to try to get it installed. It comes as a .TAR file, which is really useful on a PC.
> It wouldn't even install. The Avnet folks got me a DVD, >>so I'll probably try that next week. >> >>>Our latest projects are using Altera parts, purely >>>because the Xilinx software is such a train wreck. >> >>I'm using a Xilinx Coolrunner part for a very simple application, mostly >>because they have package better suited to the application and our SMT line >>(small and not a CsBGA). ISE WebPack 11.1 works reasonably well but I'm not >>pushing it very hard (32 flops and a half dozen I/O @ 14.7456MHz clock isn't >>much of a stretch ;-). > >Yeah, CPLDs don't need a lot of place-and-route effort.
OTOH, I don't seem much difference in what Altera calls a CPLD (Max-II/V) and an FPGA.
John Larkin wrote:

>...We'd been speculating > how Xininx managed to snarl up their software so thoroughly,...
cf. MICRO$~1 Cheers! Rich
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:03:16 -0600, "krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" > <krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote: > >>On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 18:20:55 -0800, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>>http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4212400/Xilinx-to-shutter-French-R-D-operation >>> >>>Yikes, this explains some stuff. I wonder how long it will take to >>>undo the damage. >> >>Damage? The damage caused by closing a software development lab? > > I meant the damage likely *done* by that lab. We'd been speculating > how Xininx managed to snarl up their software so thoroughly, and
> I can't imagine why they'd outsource something this important to France.
Me neither, don't they know that all brilliant programmers are in the US! Hans www.ht-lab.com
<krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>

** You are a total cunt and a massive liar.

.... Phil

<krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>

** You are a total cunt and a massive liar.

.... Phil

krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz:

> I don't know why anyone would do business in France (or most of Europe), given > their work rules.
If the State owns the bigger electronics & defence companies ad it is a chauvinist (french world...) nation, the best way to sell them stuff is to have a non purely commercial operation there.
On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:51:12 +1100, "Phil Allison" <phil_a@tpg.com.au> wrote:

> ><krw@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> > > >** You are a total cunt and a massive liar.
Why thank you, Phyllis. That's the nicest thing you've ever said to anyone here.