question about filter design vhdl

Started by viswanath May 17, 2004
Hi,
I have to design a low pass filter in VHDL. How can one go about
designing such a filter when the medium is event driven and time
domain based??
How should one decide on the filter characteristics if we just know
the symbol time rate.
If I am using standard VHDL and not AMS is it possible for me to
design such a filter which is used in the recovery loops of receiver?
Most of the references on filter and digital communications refer to
frequency domain analysis. How can I go around this problem?
If the input is a pulse then a low pass filter is an integrate and
dump. However if I have a sampled sine wave how could I design a low
pass filter? Could you please reply and let me know?
I would grealty appreciate your reply.
Looking forward to your replies,
Thanks
Viswanath
PS: I would be needing a filter after the mixing of two sine waves to
filter out the higher frequency components
First realize that VHDL has nothing to do to your question. Neither do the
FPGAs. Your question probably belongs to the comp.dsp newsgroup, but before
you post it there I would recommend you to do some more homework.

/Mikhail