Alternative To Altera's Cyclone III Starter Board

Started by Abby Brown March 14, 2011
Hi,

Does someone produce a cheaper and simpler substitute for
Altera's Cyclone III starter board?  It needs to connect to a
laptop to download configuration and test cases and upload
results (ICT).  A driver that connects to Windows .Net would be
ideal.

Thanks,
Gary

Here's a Xilinx option for $89.  FPGA configuration, Flash
programming, hardware debugging, and MicroBlaze debugging are all
available through the on-board USB-JTAG circuit using iMPACT,
ChipScope, and SDK.  I'm not aware of a Windows .NET driver for it.

www.em.avnet.com/s6microboard

Bryan

"Abby Brown" <abbybrown@charter.net> writes:

> Hi, > > Does someone produce a cheaper and simpler substitute for > Altera's Cyclone III starter board? It needs to connect to a > laptop to download configuration and test cases and upload > results (ICT). A driver that connects to Windows .Net would be > ideal.
Terasic makes a cheap Cyclone III board, model DE0. They have academic pricing too if it's for school. Don't know anything about connecting to .net though.
On Mar 14, 6:38=A0pm, "Abby Brown" <abbybr...@charter.net> wrote:
> Hi, > > Does someone produce a cheaper and simpler substitute for > Altera's Cyclone III starter board? =A0It needs to connect to a > laptop to download configuration and test cases and upload > results (ICT). =A0A driver that connects to Windows .Net would be > ideal. > > Thanks, > Gary
I have to say I am pretty ignorant of .NET other than this was Microsoft's response when Sun told them to stop tinkering with JAVA. What would the driver accomplish and how would you use it? Rick
"rickman" <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Mar 14, 6:38 pm, "Abby Brown" <abbybr...@charter.net> wrote:
> Hi, > > Does someone produce a cheaper and simpler substitute for > Altera's Cyclone III starter board? It needs to connect to a > laptop to download configuration and test cases and upload > results (ICT). A driver that connects to Windows .Net would be > ideal. > > Thanks, > Gary
: I have to say I am pretty ignorant of .NET other than this was : Microsoft's response when Sun told them to stop tinkering with JAVA. : What would the driver accomplish and how would you use it? : Rick It obviates a logic simulator (Altera's free one is limited). Use the actual device instead. I can automate test cases with a C# program. I used to write logic simulators for a living and hate the damn things. Gary