Lattice Breakout Boards

Started by Gabor April 25, 2011
I often see people, especially hobbyists looking for inexpensive
boards with a lot of non-dedicated I/O.  These new boards from
Lattice are pretty basic (no on-board RAM) but have a lot of
break-out pins for projects that just need a lot of I/O on
0.1" centers for prototyping.

Usually Lattice releases boards like this at a "kicker" price
and then quietly raises the price later, so you may want
to grab one while it's still $29.99

MachXO 2280 Breakout Board Evaluation Kit:

http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/breakoutboardevalkits.cfm

-- Gabor

PS - I'm not connected to Lattice in any way.  Just saw this on
an e-mail and thought it might be of interest.
Or, you could wait for the MachXO2 breakout ;) - and I see they now have this real, at $29. http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/developmentkits/mac= hxo2picokit.cfm -jg
Gabor <gabor@szakacs.invalid> wrote:

>I often see people, especially hobbyists looking for inexpensive >boards with a lot of non-dedicated I/O. These new boards from >Lattice are pretty basic (no on-board RAM) but have a lot of >break-out pins for projects that just need a lot of I/O on >0.1" centers for prototyping. > >Usually Lattice releases boards like this at a "kicker" price >and then quietly raises the price later, so you may want >to grab one while it's still $29.99 > >MachXO 2280 Breakout Board Evaluation Kit: > >http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/breakoutboardevalkits.cfm > >-- Gabor > >PS - I'm not connected to Lattice in any way. Just saw this on >an e-mail and thought it might be of interest.
Looks nice. I have another CRT to LCD screen conversion project coming up. Any word on the software provided by Lattice? The last time I attempted to use their software must be about 15 years ago. Synario Abel HDL IIRC. OTOH maybe I just stick with Xilinx. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) --------------------------------------------------------------
On Apr 25, 7:44=A0pm, n...@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote:
> Gabor <ga...@szakacs.invalid> wrote: > >I often see people, especially hobbyists looking for inexpensive > >boards with a lot of non-dedicated I/O. =A0These new boards from > >Lattice are pretty basic (no on-board RAM) but have a lot of > >break-out pins for projects that just need a lot of I/O on > >0.1" centers for prototyping. > > >Usually Lattice releases boards like this at a "kicker" price > >and then quietly raises the price later, so you may want > >to grab one while it's still $29.99 > > >MachXO 2280 Breakout Board Evaluation Kit: > > >http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/breakoutboard... > > >-- Gabor > > >PS - I'm not connected to Lattice in any way. =A0Just saw this on > >an e-mail and thought it might be of interest. > > Looks nice. I have another CRT to LCD screen conversion project coming > up. > Any word on the software provided by Lattice? The last time I > attempted to use their software must be about 15 years ago. Synario > Abel HDL IIRC. OTOH maybe I just stick with Xilinx.
I use their software in a design I have in production and I don't find any issues with it really. I'm still using a two year old copy and they have updated to the later rev of VHDL which I don't have. The synthesis tool is Synplify and the simulator is Aldec ActiveHDL. I ordered the software with Modelsim and before they shipped it their agreement for Modelsim ran out and they switched to Aldec. I about threw a fit because I had the impression ActiveHDL was an inferior product and they did a bait and switch on me. But once I calmed down and used the SW it was pretty good. In fact, I have less trouble with ActiveHDL than I did with Modelsim. Modelsim had a memory leak or something that would crash it after some hours of being up. That was what, 2002 or so? I assume they eventually fixed that, no? Rick
"Gabor" <gabor@szakacs.invalid> wrote in message
> MachXO 2280 Breakout Board Evaluation Kit: > > http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/breakoutboardevalkits.cfm
I am about to place an order on 99$ Versa kit. What do You think about that?
<snip>
> ActiveHDL than I did with Modelsim. Modelsim had a memory leak or > something that would crash it after some hours of being up. That was > what, 2002 or so? I assume they eventually fixed that, no? > > Rick
I don't know if it has been fixed? I currently have a similar issue with SE-64bit it gobbles up > 10GB of RAM memory and brings our system to its knees. But I am also using some VPI modules that I need to double check, MTI might get lucky and it could be another issue. Chris
Jim Granville <j.m.granville@gmail.com> writes:

> Or, you could wait for the MachXO2 breakout ;) > - and I see they now have this real, at $29. > > http://www.latticesemi.com/products/developmenthardware/developmentkits/machxo2picokit.cfm
Interesting offering from Lattice again. Too bad the price is quite different from $29 for those of us on the wrong side of the pond...