FPGARelated.com
Forums

Makefiles and FPGA projects

Started by Ptorru 7 years ago2 replieslatest reply 7 years ago178 views

Hi there,

I am engineering a makefile based build system for FPGA based projects.

I was considering making a blog entry with my challenges, solutions, and thoughts. 

Would this be of interest for the community? Are makefiles the completely wrong approach to FPGA based projects? 

I am trying to gauge whether putting effort on writing an article like this is worth it.

Any thoughts are much appreciated! 

Cheers!

[ - ]
Reply by prashantpdAugust 15, 2017

Hello Ptorru,

I appreciate your idea of creating a post detailing the challenges and solutions when you go about designing a makefile based build system for FPGA based projects. The blog will be useful for beginners and maybe even seasoned engineers who may not be comfortable with the whole makefile idea or who may have used makefiles in their FPGA based projects before when working in the industry, but may not have know what happens behind the scenes.

To answer your questions on whether FPGAs are a completely wrong approach. I would say "NO". WhereI worked as an FPGA engineer, makefiles and the FPGA IP and project repository had more than 10 projects that were live any day, and the makefile system was a company wide effort involving 2-3 engineers who would tweak and oil the system so that it worked correctly for all.

Having said that, would I be able to design such a system on my own. Definitely not, and this is where I believe your blog post would be useful. A step by step guide or a post listing the challenges one could possibly face when designing such a system would act as a guide for all.

I look forward to seeing something from you soon.

-Prashant

[ - ]
Reply by PtorruAugust 15, 2017

Many thanks Prashant!