FPGARelated.com
Forums

Exploring adders: carry select adder any benefits?

Started by cfelton 8 years ago2 replieslatest reply 8 years ago327 views

At some point in the past I had used a carry-select-adder to meet timing for a larger adder.  I did a little experiment to see how often this is true.  The following plot shows the max frequency for three different FPGAs and compares the inferred adder to a carry-select-adder.

adder_resources_fmax_83408.png

The area of interest is typically way to the left, the above is somewhat academic because adders over 64 bits are not that common.  There are a couple small regions where the CSA achieved a higher Fmax (max frequency) than the inferred adder but in general not often. 

[ - ]
Reply by jt_eatonFebruary 19, 2016

All of this changes when you write code for an Asic. In today's processes you lay out a ripple-carry adder and you minimize the carry chain length by packing it into a tight array. If you try to implement a CSA then you will loose more time routing a signal away from the array and back than you will gain from bypassing big chunks of the carry chain.

[ - ]
Reply by cfeltonFebruary 19, 2016

@jt_eaton, the above was an experiment with FPGA technologies only, and not an all encompassing experiment (e.g. only a subset of vendors).  

Not sure I agree with your arguement for the ASIC though, in a CSA you would still have the tightly packed arrays for the smaller adder blocks and then select from those array.  It would be interesting to see similar data for different standard cell libraries.