FPGARelated.com
Forums

Use of DAC in ZCU111 Dev Board

Started by nicolas05 5 years ago5 replieslatest reply 5 years ago372 views

Hello Forum! ,

I am a beginner with FPGA's. I want to implement an analog square wave generator using a ZCU111 Dev Board, but experiences with other boards can help too.

I do not understand how to send output values (say, +/- 0.1V) to the DAC tiles in order to get the wave generated. What I have done so far:

I have created a working binary train pulse generator. I expect to replace the output from a LED in the board to a DAC tile. The problem is that I do not find the tiles in the constraints file, what means that I am missing a point. 

Has anyone implemented analog signals like this with FPGA's?

Thank you very much,

Nicolas

[ - ]
Reply by rajkeerthy18August 14, 2019

There are different ways a square wave could be implemented using FPGA.       From your mail it seems you are interested in using the RF DAC built in the FPGA. This method involves using Xilinx IP for RF-DAC. There is little bit of reading to do, please go through the board user manual, schematics and logicore IP and XDC constraints. The board has all the external clocks and connections for the RF-DAC function. 

Quick method is, you could use your binary pulse train and use an external driver if available. 

[ - ]
Reply by nicolas05August 14, 2019

Hello! 

Thanks for the quick answer. I certainly want to use RF DAC built in the FPGA. Regarding documentation, do you refer to this doc? It is indeed complex in learning, but I am trying my best.

[ - ]
Reply by MichaelKellettAugust 14, 2019

Sorry, can't resist asking - what sort of square waves do you need that you are using an $8k+ dev board to generate them ?

MK

[ - ]
Reply by nicolas05August 14, 2019

Hi!

It's just a short term goal I wanted to pursue  so as to learn how to use the DACs and ADCs. The board, I don't get to choose it. If you can help, I'll appreciate!

[ - ]
Reply by MichaelKellettAugust 14, 2019

I don't have any application for the RFSoc parts so no useful help to offer. (Hence the apology at the start of my post :-)

For what it's worth I usually start of my FPGA/DAC testing with DC and then progress to sine waves. It's easier to spot wrong things on a sine wave (than on a square) by measuring the distortion - you'll need a spectrum analyser rather than my usual favorite which is a Neutrik Audio Analyser.

MK