Reply by Eirik Seljelid August 18, 20042004-08-18
Jim Granville wrote:
> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > <snip> > >> Could be, but I suppose it would come up with an error message asking >> for valid keys or something like that. When I cutted down the source >> it would compile. > > > I haven't really set up an old dos environment yet so I > > think I will try this as soon as I get the time to do it. > > Sounds close - at this point I would try something trivial like > 8 NAND gates in a test file ( uses every pin ), and confirm you > get what looks like a valid JED file. > > >> AFAIK CUPL is a different HDL than Abel, which means I have to rewrite >> the source to CUPL syntax. My HDL programming experience is somewhat >> limited. I've written some PLD-cicuits in PALASM and another >> GAL-assembler called GALASM. Very basic, no high-level coding. >> Although I probably understand most of the code I'm really not so keen >> on translating it. The equipment using the FPLA also incorporates a >> serious amout of other PLD devices, mostly 22V10's and EP600's, all >> documented with Abel source code. > > > CUPL was suggested, should you hit a brick wall with ABEL, right now it > sounds more like a speed-bump..... :) > -jg >
Finally got the time to set up a box with DOS. Didn't help much though. I guess you were right about the need for a licence key. It seems like it worked for smaller designs, perhaps for evaluation purposes. Eirik
Reply by Jim Granville August 10, 20042004-08-10
Eirik Seljelid wrote:
<snip>
> Could be, but I suppose it would come up with an error message asking > for valid keys or something like that. When I cutted down the source it > would compile.
> I haven't really set up an old dos environment yet so I > think I will try this as soon as I get the time to do it. Sounds close - at this point I would try something trivial like 8 NAND gates in a test file ( uses every pin ), and confirm you get what looks like a valid JED file.
> AFAIK CUPL is a different HDL than Abel, which means I have to rewrite the source to > CUPL syntax. My HDL programming experience is somewhat limited. I've > written some PLD-cicuits in PALASM and another GAL-assembler called > GALASM. Very basic, no high-level coding. Although I probably understand > most of the code I'm really not so keen on translating it. The equipment > using the FPLA also incorporates a serious amout of other PLD devices, > mostly 22V10's and EP600's, all documented with Abel source code.
CUPL was suggested, should you hit a brick wall with ABEL, right now it sounds more like a speed-bump..... :) -jg
Reply by Eirik Seljelid August 10, 20042004-08-10
Jim Granville wrote:

> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > >> mmock wrote: >> >>>> Eirik Seljelid wrote: >>>> >>>>> considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older >>>>> version of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> Eirik, >>> >>> Have you located it? I'm not familiar with the 82S100. I have an >>> ancient version of ABEL, circa 1988. Is that too ancient? >>> >>> Mike >> >> >> >> Not sure. I've found Abel 2.0 and Abel 4.0 on the net and tried to >> compile the source, but in both versions I got the message "fatal >> error: out of memory". It worked when I tried to compile only parts of >> the source. > > > Some (most?) ABEL's needed keys, this may be a security artifact ? > It is hard to believe the 82S100, which my info shows has just 1928 > fuses (smaller than a 16V8), would tax memory ? > CUPL probably also supported the 82S100. > -jg >
Could be, but I suppose it would come up with an error message asking for valid keys or something like that. When I cutted down the source it would compile. I haven't really set up an old dos environment yet so I think I will try this as soon as I get the time to do it. AFAIK CUPL is a different HDL than Abel, which means I have to rewrite the source to CUPL syntax. My HDL programming experience is somewhat limited. I've written some PLD-cicuits in PALASM and another GAL-assembler called GALASM. Very basic, no high-level coding. Although I probably understand most of the code I'm really not so keen on translating it. The equipment using the FPLA also incorporates a serious amout of other PLD devices, mostly 22V10's and EP600's, all documented with Abel source code. Eirik
Reply by Jim Granville August 9, 20042004-08-09
Eirik Seljelid wrote:

> mmock wrote: > >>> Eirik Seljelid wrote: >>> >>>> considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older >>>> version of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. >>> >>> >> Eirik, >> >> Have you located it? I'm not familiar with the 82S100. I have an >> ancient version of ABEL, circa 1988. Is that too ancient? >> >> Mike > > > Not sure. I've found Abel 2.0 and Abel 4.0 on the net and tried to > compile the source, but in both versions I got the message "fatal error: > out of memory". It worked when I tried to compile only parts of the source.
Some (most?) ABEL's needed keys, this may be a security artifact ? It is hard to believe the 82S100, which my info shows has just 1928 fuses (smaller than a 16V8), would tax memory ? CUPL probably also supported the 82S100. -jg
Reply by Eirik Seljelid August 9, 20042004-08-09
Jim Granville wrote:

> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > >> Thanks for answering. The 82S100 is now in production reintroduced to >> the marked by QP Semi. Anyway, this is not an issue for me as my >> organisation has 82S100's in-house in adequate numbers. My project >> consist of replacing an older version of the programmed chip with a >> newer one on a limited number of circuit cards. I have already >> considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older >> version of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. > > > Wow, a PLS100 data sheet with June 2004 on it :) > Google did find what looks like (most of?) Amaze, here > http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/80/ > - in case you have problems finding an old ABEL > with the 82S100/PLS100. > You could also try direct fuse editing :) > -jg >
Thanks, but I've found and downloaded it when you gave me the name. Haven't tried it though, as disk 2 was missing and I later on found Abel on a web site. Eirik
mmock wrote:
>>Eirik Seljelid wrote: >> >>>considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older version >>>of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. >> > Eirik, > > Have you located it? I'm not familiar with the 82S100. I have an > ancient version of ABEL, circa 1988. Is that too ancient? > > Mike
Not sure. I've found Abel 2.0 and Abel 4.0 on the net and tried to compile the source, but in both versions I got the message "fatal error: out of memory". It worked when I tried to compile only parts of the source. Eirik
Reply by mmock August 9, 20042004-08-09
> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > > considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older version > > of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. >
Eirik, Have you located it? I'm not familiar with the 82S100. I have an ancient version of ABEL, circa 1988. Is that too ancient? Mike
Reply by Jim Granville August 8, 20042004-08-08
Eirik Seljelid wrote:
> Thanks for answering. The 82S100 is now in production reintroduced to > the marked by QP Semi. Anyway, this is not an issue for me as my > organisation has 82S100's in-house in adequate numbers. My project > consist of replacing an older version of the programmed chip with a > newer one on a limited number of circuit cards. I have already > considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older version > of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips.
Wow, a PLS100 data sheet with June 2004 on it :) Google did find what looks like (most of?) Amaze, here http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/80/ - in case you have problems finding an old ABEL with the 82S100/PLS100. You could also try direct fuse editing :) -jg
Reply by Eirik Seljelid August 8, 20042004-08-08
Jim Granville wrote:
> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > >> Hi. >> >> I have an old ABEL source code (no JEDEC&#4294967295;s) for an 82S100/PLS100 FPLA. >> Problem is that I can't find any company supporting ABEL compilers for >> these chips anymore. > > > That's because no one makes the chips anymore..... > > That said, I see you CAN still actually buy the PLS100, and I also > see my PLD programmer still shows a PLS100 on the menu... > >> Xilinx, which aquired Synario/ABEL from Dataio, does only support it's >> own families of FPGAS/CPLDS. ABEL support for small PLDS has been >> taken over by Lattice also supporting only their own PLD families. >> Anyone know if Xilinx released legacy ABEL compilers as freeware, >> opensource or similar? > > > Nope - Xilinx's response will be to tell you to take your ABEL source, > and recompile for a CoolRunner CPLD. > ( but that does not retrofit too easily into a PLS100 socket.) > > The Xilinx ABEL has a certain amount of inbuilt ability, and it looks > like, if you really want to, you can get PLA and BLIF files from the > current Xilinx ABEL flows. > > What you then need is the relevent Signetics PLS100 fitter, or you > could look for the Signetics software - IIRC their SW called Amaze > supported the PLS100, and it had a successor called SLICE, but both > are ancient. > > Or, you could look for a device similar to the PLS100, but still > in production, such as the ICT PA7536 or PA7540 ? > > ICT offer current software to support these devices. > See http://www.anachip.com/eng/product/pld.php > > The 22V10 is still quite active (Atmel, ICT, Lattice), but has fewer > total pins than a PLS100. > > -jg > > > >
Thanks for answering. The 82S100 is now in production reintroduced to the marked by QP Semi. Anyway, this is not an issue for me as my organisation has 82S100's in-house in adequate numbers. My project consist of replacing an older version of the programmed chip with a newer one on a limited number of circuit cards. I have already considered the PA7536, but I find it way easyer to get an older version of ABEL, compile the code for 82S100 and burn the chips. Eirik
Reply by Leon Heller August 8, 20042004-08-08
"Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.co.nz> wrote in message
> Eirik Seljelid wrote: > > Hi. > > > > I have an old ABEL source code (no JEDEC&#4294967295;s) for an 82S100/PLS100 FPLA. > > Problem is that I can't find any company supporting ABEL compilers for > > these chips anymore. > > That's because no one makes the chips anymore..... > > That said, I see you CAN still actually buy the PLS100, and I also > see my PLD programmer still shows a PLS100 on the menu... > > > Xilinx, which aquired Synario/ABEL from Dataio, > > does only support it's own families of FPGAS/CPLDS. ABEL support for > > small PLDS has been taken over by Lattice also supporting only their own > > PLD families. Anyone know if Xilinx released legacy ABEL compilers as > > freeware, opensource or similar? > > Nope - Xilinx's response will be to tell you to take your ABEL source, > and recompile for a CoolRunner CPLD. > ( but that does not retrofit too easily into a PLS100 socket.)
I would design a small PCB for the new CPLD that would plug in to the old device socket. Leon