Reply by Josh Model December 15, 20042004-12-15
Don't worry about it too much-- AVNET shipped us a rev. of their Xilinx
V21000 eval boards w/ a similar error.  (turns out a 0 ohm resistor was
mistaken for a DNP in their 1.5V regulator network)   They've since fixed
the problem, and have been very nice about replacing the boards, but from
what I can tell, they're a major distributor, so it happens to EVERYONE.

--Josh

"Alex Somesan" <alex.somesan@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Stupid me! > You were right! > Tied VCCINT to 1V5 and all works well. No heat at all. > I slaped myself a few times after going over the datasheet again, more > carefuly. > Anyway, stupid rookie mistake. I must clean my reputation now :). > Thanks for helping. > > Alex. >
Reply by Jan De Ceuster December 15, 20042004-12-15
> Stupid me! > You were right! > I cut the PCB traces of the VCCINT pins off the 3V3 rail and straped > them to 1V5 - works perfectly! No heat, no config mess-up. Thanks for > the advice. I guess it was obvious to the experinces guys out there. I > slaped myself a few times after carefully looking over the datasheet. I > guess now I have to clean up my reputation :). > Thanks for helping!
Spank yourself with a soldering iron while reciting the complete Cyclone manual 5 times (including appendix) and you'll receive an absolution from the Almighty FPGA...
Reply by Jeroen December 14, 20042004-12-14
> Stupid me! > You were right! > I cut the PCB traces of the VCCINT pins off the 3V3 rail and straped > them to 1V5 - works perfectly! No heat, no config mess-up. Thanks for > the advice. I guess it was obvious to the experinces guys out there. I > slaped myself a few times after carefully looking over the datasheet. I > guess now I have to clean up my reputation :). > Thanks for helping! > > Alex. >
Good to hear it's working now. Luckily it's only a cheap easily replacable Cyclone and not a Stratix housed in a 1508 pin FBGA package that's worth several thousand $ :) Jeroen
Reply by Al Clark December 14, 20042004-12-14
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in news:cpnrgj$qv$1
@gnus01.u.washington.edu:

> > > Alex Somesan wrote: > (snip) > >> I cut the PCB traces of the VCCINT pins off the 3V3 rail and straped >> them to 1V5 - works perfectly! No heat, no config mess-up. Thanks for >> the advice. I guess it was obvious to the experinces guys out there. I >> slaped myself a few times after carefully looking over the datasheet. I >> guess now I have to clean up my reputation :). > > And now we all know how tough Cyclone is with excess VccINT. > > -- glen >
Alex, Don't let us "old timers" give you too much crap. We've all made this mistake in one form or another. It called experience. -- Al Clark Danville Signal Processing, Inc. -------------------------------------------------------------------- Purveyors of Fine DSP Hardware and other Cool Stuff Available at http://www.danvillesignal.com
Reply by Alex Somesan December 14, 20042004-12-14
[...]

Reply by glen herrmannsfeldt December 14, 20042004-12-14