Reply by vlsi_learner January 18, 20052005-01-18
One more thing if you could help..
I am using Async memory in my logic..This memory is being automatically
inferenced by the Quartus tool (alt_syncram function).I am just coding
the async memory using VHDL.
For Stratix EP1S10F780C5, the largest memory to memory delay is 9.7 ns
while for EP1S10F780C6 the largest memory to memory delay is 10.809 ns.
How can i reduce this?????
vlsi_learner wrote:
> hi > Yes i was not giving any constraints while running the
design.Actually
> i have Quartus version 4.0 which does not provide the facility of > Timing Optimization advisor.so could not use that facility. > Now when i am giving the constraints as Fmax =100 Mhz & tsu,tco > constraint as suggested by Ben,i get Timing violations.How do i
remove
> the Timing errors?? > > If i reduce the value of Fmax, again i get correct output for Stratix > EP1S10F780C5 but not for EP1S10F780C6. I have broken down the > combinational path by inserting FF's also?? > > Another thing i am using Asynchronous memory in my design (Look up > tables).Will that have a negative impact on the result when targeting > to Stratix device??
Reply by vlsi_learner January 18, 20052005-01-18
hi
Yes i was not giving any constraints while running the design.Actually
i have Quartus version 4.0 which does not provide the facility of
Timing Optimization advisor.so could not use that facility.
Now when i am giving the constraints as Fmax =100 Mhz & tsu,tco
constraint as suggested by Ben,i get Timing violations.How do i remove
the Timing errors??

If i reduce the value of Fmax, again i get correct output for Stratix
EP1S10F780C5 but not for EP1S10F780C6. I have broken down the
combinational path by inserting FF's also??

Another thing i am using Asynchronous memory in my design (Look up
tables).Will that have a negative impact on the result when targeting
to Stratix device??

Reply by Vaughn Betz January 14, 20052005-01-14
This is good advice.  If you have no timing constraints, Quartus will
perform only minimal timing optimization on a design during place and route
if you have "Auto Fit" (the default) selected.  So you should definitely
enter your required clock frequencies into Quartus, using the method Ben
describes. At that point Quartus will flag timing violations (check the
timing analyzer section in the compilation report) and will work to optimize
the design to meet your constraints, so violations are less likely.

Vaughn
Altera
[v b e t z (at) altera.com]

"Ben Twijnstra" <btwijnstra@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi vlsi_learner, > > > hi Ben > > > > i have compared the timing reports for both the cases ie with Stratix > > EP1S10F780C6 & Stratix EP1S10F780C5.The resources etc used are all same > > except that the critical path delay is different > > > > for EP1S10F780C6 : critical path delay is 10.647 ns > > total cell delay is 4.956 ns > > total interconnect delay is 5.691 ns > > > > for EP1S10F780C5 : critical path delay is 9.468 ns > > total cell delay is 4.420 ns > > total interconnect delay is 5.048 ns > > > > wat should i do??? the results are correct for EP1S10F780C5..how should > > i reduce the critical path delay for stratix EP1S10F780C6 > > If your clock frequency is 100MHz, your clock period in 10ns. Ergo, the C6 > is too slow, and the C5 meets timing. > > From what I gather from your story, you don't seem to have put any > information regarding clock frequency into your Quartus project. This
means
> that Quartus will compile the circuit, do a few P&R iterations, and then > finishes, telling what it thought up as a possible solution. > > Once Quartus knows about your minimum clock frequency and, probably, the
Tsu
> and Tco constraints (I usually set them to about 2/3 of the clock period
if
> there are no special demands) it will try to meet these constraints and > will telly if it hasn't been able to find a P&R solution that met your > requirements. > > If you have indeed not entered any clock frequency constraints in your > project, you can do so by clicking "Assignments" on the menu bar and > selecting "Timing Wizard". Just follow the instructions. > > Another solution I have seen, but definitely not one for production > environments, is to apply a healthy dose of cold spray to the FPGA if the > circuit doesn't violate timing constraints too badly. The lower
temperature
> will make circuit timing faster. > > As stated, good for experimenting and testing your algorithm, but not for
an
> end product, unless of course you want to ship your crypto processor with
> lifetime supply of cold spray ;-) > > Best regards, > > > Ben >
Reply by Ben Twijnstra January 11, 20052005-01-11
Hi vlsi_learner,

> hi Ben > > i have compared the timing reports for both the cases ie with Stratix > EP1S10F780C6 & Stratix EP1S10F780C5.The resources etc used are all same > except that the critical path delay is different > > for EP1S10F780C6 : critical path delay is 10.647 ns > total cell delay is 4.956 ns > total interconnect delay is 5.691 ns > > for EP1S10F780C5 : critical path delay is 9.468 ns > total cell delay is 4.420 ns > total interconnect delay is 5.048 ns > > wat should i do??? the results are correct for EP1S10F780C5..how should > i reduce the critical path delay for stratix EP1S10F780C6
If your clock frequency is 100MHz, your clock period in 10ns. Ergo, the C6 is too slow, and the C5 meets timing. From what I gather from your story, you don't seem to have put any information regarding clock frequency into your Quartus project. This means that Quartus will compile the circuit, do a few P&R iterations, and then finishes, telling what it thought up as a possible solution. Once Quartus knows about your minimum clock frequency and, probably, the Tsu and Tco constraints (I usually set them to about 2/3 of the clock period if there are no special demands) it will try to meet these constraints and will telly if it hasn't been able to find a P&R solution that met your requirements. If you have indeed not entered any clock frequency constraints in your project, you can do so by clicking "Assignments" on the menu bar and selecting "Timing Wizard". Just follow the instructions. Another solution I have seen, but definitely not one for production environments, is to apply a healthy dose of cold spray to the FPGA if the circuit doesn't violate timing constraints too badly. The lower temperature will make circuit timing faster. As stated, good for experimenting and testing your algorithm, but not for an end product, unless of course you want to ship your crypto processor with a lifetime supply of cold spray ;-) Best regards, Ben
Reply by Subroto Datta January 11, 20052005-01-11
Hi vlsi_learner,

        Quartus II 4.1 and newer versions of Software has an application
called Timing Optimization Advisor under the Tools menu. First compile the
design and then click on Tools->Timing Optimization Advisor. On the left
panel of the advisor, you will find a list of recommendations that can be
used for optimizing timing, based on the type of timing requirements and
second based on the order in which you should try these recommendations.

If you go the top of the Timing Optimization Advisor Left panel and click on
the Timing Summary you should see a summary of your timing report. The
detailed Timing report is available in the compilation report window.

Hope this helps.
- Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

"vlsi_learner" <bajajk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi Ben > > i have compared the timing reports for both the cases ie with Stratix > EP1S10F780C6 & Stratix EP1S10F780C5.The resources etc used are all same > except that the critical path delay is different > > for EP1S10F780C6 : critical path delay is 10.647 ns > total cell delay is 4.956 ns > total interconnect delay is 5.691 ns > > for EP1S10F780C5 : critical path delay is 9.468 ns > total cell delay is 4.420 ns > total interconnect delay is 5.048 ns > > wat should i do??? the results are correct for EP1S10F780C5..how should > i reduce the critical path delay for stratix EP1S10F780C6
> Ben Twijnstra wrote: >> Hi vlsi_learner, >>
>> Have you looked at the timing report to see if there were no red > lines in >> any of the timing specs? >> >> Rgds, >> >> >> Ben >
Reply by vlsi_learner January 11, 20052005-01-11