Reply by Symon May 31, 20052005-05-31
Paul,
Many thanks!
Syms.

Reply by Paul Leventis (at home) May 31, 20052005-05-31
Hi Symon,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

> I want to send bits a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 etc. on I/O LVDS_A > I want to send bits b_1, b_2, b_3, b_4 etc. on I/O LVDS_B > I use the serdes to do this. Can I ensure that a_n appears at (more or > less) > the same time as b_n? I.e. that the shift registers in the two serdes are > aligned?
That's what the SERDES block is for. You just need to instantiate a altlvds_rx (receiver) or altlvds_tx (transmitter) with the number of channels you want in the link. Each of the channels will share a common PLL. Therefore, they share a common clock, and the enable pulses derived from that clock. And if you want to give the manual another stab ;-), I've been told that volume 2, chapter 5 of the Stratix II handbook, "High-Speed Differential I/O Interfaces with DPA in Stratix II Devices" http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/stx2/stx2_sii52005.pdf is helpful. Figures 5-2, 5-11 and 5-12 are most applicable in this case. Regards, Paul Leventis Altera Corp.
Reply by Symon May 19, 20052005-05-19
Paul and John,
Thanks very much for your replies! So, for 1.25Gbps I'd need to use the
SERDES. I guess that means I have to use the PLL circuit to make the clock?
If I had more than 1 of these links, how easy is it to ensure that they're
all synchronised together. For example,
I want to send bits a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4 etc. on I/O LVDS_A
I want to send bits b_1, b_2, b_3, b_4 etc. on I/O LVDS_B
I use the serdes to do this. Can I ensure that a_n appears at (more or less)
the same time as b_n? I.e. that the shift registers in the two serdes are
aligned?
I know, I should read the bloody manual more carefully, but I couldn't find
this on a first pass.
Thanks, Syms.

"Paul Leventis" <paul.leventis@utoronto.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Symon, > > There is a hard serializer/deserializer circuitry available for the > left and right LVDS I/O banks. These SERDES blocks allow you to > deserialize/serialize by any factor between 4 and 10x. For example, > you could bring in a 4x data bus running at 312.5 Mhz. Or you can > bypass the SERDES block and use the DDR registers for a 2x SERDES. Or > bypass completely for 1x... but not at 1.25 Gbps. I don't know what > speed the SERDES/DDR I/O clock can run at or will run at when we update > this specification. I'm sure it will be published at the time. > > We also have dedicated Dynamic Phase Alignment (DPA) circuitry for > source-synchronous applications. The DPA block enables you to > eliminate channel-to-channel and clock-to-channel skew. It achieves > this by selecting the best clock phase to use for each I/O pair, > centering the sampling window in the eye. > > Regards, > > Paul Leventis > Altera Corp. >
Reply by John M May 19, 20052005-05-19
Symon,

According to the data sheet, you can run the LVDS I/O up to 500 MHz in
the fastest speed grade part.  That would get you 1 Gbps.  More likely,
you would use the SERDES.  For example, at 130 MHz and using x8
serialization, you get 1.04 Gbps per pair.  Here is a link to the DPA
datasheet:
http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/stx2/stx2_sii52005.pdf

John

Reply by Paul Leventis May 18, 20052005-05-18
[...]

Reply by Symon May 18, 20052005-05-18
"Paul Leventis (at home)" <paulleventis-news@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > we will be increasing the spec to 1.25 Gbps in an upcoming version of > Quartus II. >
Paul, Does that mean in Stratix II I could run an internal clock at 625MHz and use the I/O DDR to move data out at 1.25Gbps? Thanks, Syms.
Reply by Austin Lesea May 17, 20052005-05-17
No problem.

That is what all of the wonderful features are for in V4 (SSIO, IODLY,
DCM, etc.).  All of the above go a long way to support the fabric.  Even
though the fabric will run at 500 MHz, it is far easier to mux it down
to 200 MHz, or 100 MHz (using the built in SSIO features) which makes
place and route easier, and also provides a lot of margin.

Just go buy the ML450 board (network interfaces), and you will get a
fully working platform to test out all of your ~ 400 MHz up to 500 MHz
DDR interfaces.

Austin
Reply by May 17, 20052005-05-17
Wait a minute - don't oversimply the original design critera - 720Mbps
DDR LVDS is only a part of my question.  The design also needs to run
the internals at 360Mhz, and that include portion of the fabric, not
just DSP48, etc.  Five years ago, I don't think so.  Maybe in the lab
somewhere, but not as an available product.

Reply by Paul Leventis (at home) May 17, 20052005-05-17
Austin:
According to our engineer who ran the sims, we did use on-chip termination for both V4 and Stratix II. I read the whitepaper again (http://www.altera.com/literature/wp/signal-integrity_s2-v4.pdf) and I can't find anywhere where it says we didn't use on-chip termination.
> The fact that their LVDS works up to 1.3 Gbs in simulation is nice, but > can it be used in a real application on a real board?
Sorry to hammer on this again, but the above mentioned whitepaper does show some beautiful eye diagrams for SII and some ugly ones for V4. It also shows how nicely our lab measurement (of 1.3 Gbps LVDS on Stratix II) compares to the IBIS simulation. Regards, Paul Leventis Altera Corp.
Reply by Paul Leventis (at home) May 17, 20052005-05-17
Hi Austin,

Well, things are getting a little less busy with my day job, so I finally
have time to start replying again... I figured I'd start with an easy one.

Yes. Stratix II has LVDS running at 1.3 Gbps reliably across process, temperature, voltage. Beautiful eye diagrams. In simulation and on the board. And as noted here (http://www.altera.com/products/devices/stratix2/features/performance/st2-perf_improvements.html), we will be increasing the spec to 1.25 Gbps in an upcoming version of Quartus II. BTW, our simulations line up very will with board measurements. We offer accurate IBIS models that we proudly stand behind. Regards, Paul Leventis Altera Corp.