Reply by Andrew Holme August 30, 20052005-08-30
Mike wrote:
> I think we can take things one step further. Mini Circuits thoughtfully > provides us with the typical phase noise of their VCO (-86dBc @1kHz offset), > and the VCO gain (1-4MHz/V, which we will take to be 2.5MHz/V). >
[snip]
> > The point of all this is that your noise is probably not coming from your > crystal reference oscillator. I think it's more likely that it's coming from > your VCO, and (if my assumptions about Kd*R are roughly correct) is > approximately what you'd expect to see. > > -- Mike --
Mike, thank you. I just had one of those "Doh! Why didn't I think of that?" moments. I think you may have solved the mystery. The loop bandwidth is only slightly wider than 1 KHz, so of course there is very little attenuation of VCO noise at that frequency! I've just checked the predicted response of my loop for noise injected by the VCO, using my SCILAB model, and it agrees to within a few dB with the measurements. I'd like it to be closer though .....
Reply by Mike August 30, 20052005-08-30
I think we can take things one step further. Mini Circuits thoughtfully provides us with the typical phase noise of their VCO (-86dBc @1kHz offset), and the VCO gain (1-4MHz/V, which we will take to be 2.5MHz/V). If we insert this noise at the VCO output in a simple PLL, and again assuming that you're overdamped with a loop bandwidth wider than 1kHz, the loop gain at 1kHz offset is approximately wN/(KoKdR). So, based on your measured values, -95 = -86 + 20log(wM/(KoKdR)) where w = 2pi*1kHz Ko = 2pi*2.5MHz M = 39 Solving for KdR, KdR = wM/(Ko*10^(-9/20)) = 0.044 You haven't published your loop filter design, but most of the PLLs I've designed in the past few years have had Kd*R somewhere in the range of 0.01 to 0.05, so the value I've obtained above looks like it might be about right. The point of all this is that your noise is probably not coming from your crystal reference oscillator. I think it's more likely that it's coming from your VCO, and (if my assumptions about Kd*R are roughly correct) is approximately what you'd expect to see. -- Mike --
Reply by Mike August 30, 20052005-08-30
"Andrew Holme" <andrew@nospam.com> wrote in message
> The dividers and the phase detector of my experimental frequency > synthesizer > are implemented in a 15ns Altera MAX7000S CPLD. I've tried different > multiplication factors (kN) to see how the close-in phase noise varies. > At > a 1 KHz offset, I get: > > -82 dBc/Hz for N=198 (VCO=19.8 MHz, comparison freq = 100 KHz) > -95 dBc/Hz for N=39 (VCO=19.5 MHz, comparison freq = 500 KHz) > > Calculating the equivalent phase noise at the PFD: > > -82-20*log10(198) = -128 dBc/Hz > -95-20*log10(39) = -127 dBc/Hz > > Given the 5:1 ratio of comparison frequencies, at a guess, I'd expect > these > to differ by 13 dB if the noise was mainly due to a fixed amount of time > jitter at the PFD. > > I'm using a 10 MHz canned crystal oscillator, which I'm dividing down > (inside the CPLD) to obtain the reference frequencies. I've read these > are > good for at least -130 dBc/Hz (before dividing down) so I'm a bit > dissappointed with my noise levels. Maybe it got a bit too hot when I > soldered it to the ground plane! I must try another.... > > Googling for "altera cpld jitter" doesn't turn-up much, and they don't > mention jitter in the datasheet. Does anyone know what sort of > performance > can be expected from a CPLD in this regard? I don't know if the CPLD, or > my > circuit lash-up is the root cause. > > A full write-up of the project can be found at > http://www.holmea.demon.co.uk/Frac2/Main.htm It has a fractional-N > capability, but noise-levels are the same in integer-N mode with the > external RAM disabled.
I'm not sure why you think you should be seeing a 13dB difference at the input. If I can make some gross assumptions here, I'm going to assume that your system is second order, highly overdamped (the poles are widely separated), and that the bandwidth, even at the 100kHz update rate, is much greater than 1kHz. Then, if your dominant noise source is at the reference input, the gain from input to output close to the carrier is N. If your dominant noise source is at the VCO input, the gain close to the carrier is N/(Kd*R). In both cases, you have a gain of N. Looking at your data, I see that if the noise at 1KHz offset is constant, whether it's at the reference input or the VCO input, the noise should change by about 14dB. You're measuring 13dB instead of 14dB... so, what's the problem? -- Mike --
Reply by Joerg August 29, 20052005-08-29
Hello Andrew,

> Yesterday, I thought the phase noise might be due to the reference or the > PFD, and when I estimated the dBc/Hz at the PFD, I thought the numbers were > poor. Now, I'm not so sure the CPLD is the biggest problem. I think I may > just need better power supply filtering after the monolithic regulators.
So just hang the analyzer onto the VCC and look. But ease it onto the rail slowly and don't power cycle the board while probing. Else you might fry its input. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply by Jim Granville August 29, 20052005-08-29
Andrew Holme wrote:
> Thanks to all for the suggestions.
<snip>
> This gives 20nV/sqrt(Hz). Since U4 output is a 50% duty cycle square > wave(XOR PFD), presumably I would still only need 40nV/sqrt(Hz) on the > regulator output? Is 40nV/sqrt(Hz) at 1 KHz credible for a 78L05 with 100n > + 10n hanging off its output?
Once you have cleaner supply filtering to the 1G125, you could try different Phase comparitors : eg a HC4046/7046, then try the same logic inside the CPLD. Gives you ideas, and also a comparison point. Simple XOR detectors have poor PSRR, as you note, and also low phase gain. Better synthesisers use charge balancing, or a combination of detectors / gains. Good designs also avoid a complete null, on phase match, to avoid dead-zones, on their charge balancing detectors. If you are looking for absolute best performance, also look at doing a balanced (Push-Pull) Phase Det - that gives better PSR. -jg
Reply by Andrew Holme August 29, 20052005-08-29
John_H wrote:
> You're taking the bandwidth into account?
Of course. I'm subtracting 10dB for 10Hz RBW.
> You noted an improvement going from 100k to 500k comparison > frequencies. If power-supply noise were dominant, I wouldn't expect > to see that 13 dB change in phase noise.
No, there was no difference, no 13dB change. That was my point.
Reply by John_H August 29, 20052005-08-29
"Andrew Holme" <andrew@nospam.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> I'm using a Marconi 2382 spectrum analyzer. At current levels, I can see
it
> no problem wthout any special test setup. If I get another 10 or 20 dB > improvement, then I'd need a more sophisticated method.
You're taking the bandwidth into account? Usually spectrum analyzers like to report in dBm - bandwidhts need to be considered along with slopes to determine "real" dBc/Hz or dBc/sqrt(Hz). <snip>
> > Have you tried integer-N values with higher comparison frequencies? > I've tried 100 KHz and 500 KHz comparison frequencies.
You might find a trend in noise improvement as you increase the comparison frequency, averaging the effect of nonlinearities of the system. By doing your initial investigation at integer-N values, the spurs that "should" be filtered out aren't a concern in wideband noise measurements. Only when you know what to expect at higher frequencies can you figure out what an ideal reference frequency may be. I consider the biggest advantage to using fractional-N synthesis (particularly with programmable logic) is the high comparison frequencies used to get the desired ratios. If you're using a 10 MHz oscillator, use that value undivided and check the 20 MHz performance with a VCO divide-by-2. Step back to 19.8 MHz with the fractional 1.98 value and see if there's noticeable degredation from the noise shaping for close-in phase noise.
> Yesterday, I thought the phase noise might be due to the reference or the > PFD, and when I estimated the dBc/Hz at the PFD, I thought the numbers
were
> poor. Now, I'm not so sure the CPLD is the biggest problem. I think I
may
> just need better power supply filtering after the monolithic regulators.
You noted an improvement going from 100k to 500k comparison frequencies. If power-supply noise were dominant, I wouldn't expect to see that 13 dB change in phase noise. <snip>
> What sort of PFD did you have in mind?
For my own synth design, I'd like to use a clock generator with integrated PFD/VCO with good characterization so I know what to expect when running 50 MHz (or similarly large) reference frequencies. The MiniCircuits devices are great to prototype with or do one-off pieces of test gear, but when going for those kinds of designs the actual AD9901 might be the most productive way to go. The integrated PFD/VCO devices tend to generate much higher frequency VCOs internally (to be entirely on the silicon) but are often divided down internally to give a "usable" output frequency. I think the part I was looking at most recently (because of the integrated, programmable loop filters) was an idt device - the part number eludes me at the moment (some of this research is at home). With an appropriate clock generator (ideally single channel), the reference frequency from the fractional-N generator can internally go through an integer-N multiply to get to the desired output frequency. All the intelligence in in the FPGA/CPLD, all the analog precision is in the clock generator.
John_H wrote:
> What are you using to measure the phase noise? I'd hate for some > troubles to be found there.
I'm using a Marconi 2382 spectrum analyzer. At current levels, I can see it no problem wthout any special test setup. If I get another 10 or 20 dB improvement, then I'd need a more sophisticated method.
> The results you consider to be "poor" are with integer-N values to low > comparison frequencies? > Have you tried integer-N values with higher comparison frequencies?
I've tried 100 KHz and 500 KHz comparison frequencies. Yesterday, I thought the phase noise might be due to the reference or the PFD, and when I estimated the dBc/Hz at the PFD, I thought the numbers were poor. Now, I'm not so sure the CPLD is the biggest problem. I think I may just need better power supply filtering after the monolithic regulators.
> I've wanted to put together a nice Fractional-N synth for a while but > haven't gotten around to it. One thing on my list is to have the > phase compator external (high precision analog component) and have > the final stage of the divided frequencies go through isolated > single-gate registers clocked off the VCO and Oscillator so the > divided clocks have no induced noise from my programmable device. If > you insist on having the PFD in the CPLD, you will have edge noise > injected by signals elsewhere on the FPGA, notable I/O that are > nearby but also general functionality. You may be able to arrange > the system so any package noise is minimized (Xilinx has had some > recent discussions about cross-coupled noise in promoting their > Virtex-4 parts). If the CPLD has different I/O banks, you might > improve the situation by removing unrelated I/O from the I/O bank > that contains the PFD.
I see what you're saying about implementing the PFD externally, and re-synchronising the divider outputs to the VCO and REF clocks. No doubt that would deliver the ultimate in performance. What sot of PFD did you have in mind?
[...]

I hope you can demonstrate some nifty results.

You could always build your own regulator or, as some say, filter the dickens out of it. Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com