Reply by Austin Lesea October 15, 20032003-10-15
John,

Youa re absolutely right!  I failed to mention that you should always use the DDR FF for clock
forwarding, as it has the best timing performance.  Good catch.

Austin

John Providenza wrote:

> You may also want to use the DDR output flops in the IOB to > output the clock rather than running them straight through > a simple output buffer. This keeps the clocks on dedicated > clock lines and eliminates a bunch of skew. There are several > app-notes that show this, look at some of the DDR memory ones > for examples. > > Here's code a used to drive a clock out to some synchronous SRAM. > Note by swapping the D0 and D1 values you can invert the clock. > > // infer a DDR type I/O cell for low clock skew > FDDRRSE uddr_clk( > .Q (sram_clk), > .C0 (g_sr_clk), > .C1 (~g_sr_clk), > .CE (1'b1), > .D0 (1'b1), > .D1 (1'b0), > .R (1'b0), > .S (1'b0) > ); > > John Providenza > > Austin Lesea <Austin.Lesea@xilinx.com> wrote in message news:<3F8C4846.62042276@xilinx.com>... > > Markus, > > > > Keep the OBUFs to the right or left sides, and near the center of the parts > > (least H Clock Tree skew from IOB to IOB <<50 ps). > > > > Worst is to have them in the center of the top or bottom, and go to the > > extreme right or left corners (~500 to 600 ps in 2VP100 skew). > > > > You can infer the skew on the hclck tree by examining delays in FPGA editor. > > > > Austin > > > > Markus Meng wrote: > > > > > Hi all, > > > > > > a simple question: > > > > > > We intend to use a DCM in a Virtex-II Pro to drive multiple OBUF's but > > > only ne feedback signal - of course. What is the best way to minimize the > > > delay difference between the OBUF's? > > > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > > > Markus
Reply by John Providenza October 15, 20032003-10-15
You may also want to use the DDR output flops in the IOB to
output the clock rather than running them straight through
a simple output buffer.  This keeps the clocks on dedicated
clock lines and eliminates a bunch of skew.  There are several
app-notes that show this, look at some of the DDR memory ones
for examples.

Here's code a used to drive a clock out to some synchronous SRAM.
Note by swapping the D0 and D1 values you can invert the clock.

// infer a DDR type I/O cell for low clock skew
FDDRRSE uddr_clk(
        .Q              (sram_clk),
        .C0             (g_sr_clk),
        .C1             (~g_sr_clk),
        .CE             (1'b1),
        .D0             (1'b1),
        .D1             (1'b0),
        .R              (1'b0),
        .S              (1'b0)
);

John Providenza

Austin Lesea <Austin.Lesea@xilinx.com> wrote in message news:<3F8C4846.62042276@xilinx.com>...
> Markus, > > Keep the OBUFs to the right or left sides, and near the center of the parts > (least H Clock Tree skew from IOB to IOB <<50 ps). > > Worst is to have them in the center of the top or bottom, and go to the > extreme right or left corners (~500 to 600 ps in 2VP100 skew). > > You can infer the skew on the hclck tree by examining delays in FPGA editor. > > Austin > > Markus Meng wrote: > > > Hi all, > > > > a simple question: > > > > We intend to use a DCM in a Virtex-II Pro to drive multiple OBUF's but > > only ne feedback signal - of course. What is the best way to minimize the > > delay difference between the OBUF's? > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > Markus
Reply by Austin Lesea October 14, 20032003-10-14

Markus Meng wrote:

> Hi all, > > a simple question: > > We intend to use a DCM in a Virtex-II Pro to drive multiple OBUF's but > only ne feedback signal - of course. What is the best way to minimize the > delay difference between the OBUF's? > > Any help would be appreciated. > > Markus
Reply by Markus Meng October 14, 20032003-10-14