Reply by Raymund Hofmann November 30, 20052005-11-30
"Antti Lukats" <antti@openchip.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Why Spartan-3e is the best > ================== > Antti Lukats > 4.Nov 2005 > > [lot's of indispensable 3e advantages snipped] > > 6) There are possible some other nice new features > I have not discovered yet :)
Yes, you forgot to mention the extra fun you may have with the DCM / DFS >90MHz && <220MHz. Raymund Hofmann
Reply by November 9, 20052005-11-09
Tobias Weingartner wrote:
> There is a cost associated with me trying to acquire the resources and > planning necessary to have a 1000+ pin FPGA mounted, routed and fed. On > the other hand, 144 pins, or even 208 pins in a quad flat pack is pretty > much doable...
Sure, but if the part doesn't fit in the die cavity of the package, it ain't gonna happen.
Reply by Symon November 9, 20052005-11-09
"Bevan Weiss" <kaizen__@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> langwadt@ieee.org wrote: >> Ray Andraka wrote: >>> Tobias Weingartner wrote: >>> >>>> I realize that there are people out there that need the 1000+ pin >>>> packages >>>> that large-scale FPGAs offer... but I do wish that 2-5 million "gate" >>>> FPGAs >>>> would come in VQ100/144 packages. Personally, I'd love to have the >>>> capacity, >>>> but I really dont need (or want) the complexity and raw bandwidth of >>>> having >>>> to deal with several hundred (or a thousand) pins... >>>> >>>> >>> Unfortunately, the size of the cavity in those small packages is far too >>> small to fit the die for the high density parts, and even if it did fit, >>> you may have power dissipation issues as well. >>> >>> -- >>> --Ray Andraka, P.E. >> >> any idea how big the dies are?, what will fit in a vq100, the only >> thing I could find on the web was something like 3x3mm sounds small >> for a 10x10 package? >> >> -Lasse > > That sounds about right to me. > You've got to remember there's a tolerance on the die placement, so the > interior die 'room' needs to be larger, then you've got the anchor space > for the pins themselves and then the added space for the wirebonds. > > BGAs can accommodate much larger dies given equivalent sizing to QFP etc > etc. They don't require any room for wirebonds in almost all cases.
Guys, Here's the problem. These days all the parts are made on 90-130 nm processes. This means that the transistors switch very quickly. They also have lower power supply voltages, lowering the noise threshold. This means that even if the dice fitted the lead frame of a PQFP, the SI would be awful, probably such that the thing wouldn't work. There'd be bloody great inductors between the board ground and the die ground. The frequency isn't the limiting thing, it's the rise time. So, saying you're only gonna drive the outputs at 20 Mbps, doesn't fix the problem of sub ns rise/fall time. You could have small packages like Amkor's micro-lead-frame (MLF) QFN stuff with exposed paddles, but I guess if you don't like BGA, you're not gonna like that either. Cheers, Syms.
Reply by Bevan Weiss November 8, 20052005-11-08
langwadt@ieee.org wrote:
> Ray Andraka wrote: >> Tobias Weingartner wrote: >> >>> In article <dkmrjm$cg8$1@online.de>, Antti Lukats wrote: >>> >>> >>>> as example VQ100 is really nice package very thin, so largest LUTs you get >>>> in VQ100 is S3e. etc.. >>>> >>>> >>> I realize that there are people out there that need the 1000+ pin packages >>> that large-scale FPGAs offer... but I do wish that 2-5 million "gate" FPGAs >>> would come in VQ100/144 packages. Personally, I'd love to have the capacity, >>> but I really dont need (or want) the complexity and raw bandwidth of having >>> to deal with several hundred (or a thousand) pins... >>> >>> >>> >> Unfortunately, the size of the cavity in those small packages is far too >> small to fit the die for the high density parts, and even if it did fit, >> you may have power dissipation issues as well. >> >> -- >> --Ray Andraka, P.E. > > any idea how big the dies are?, what will fit in a vq100, the only > thing I could find on the web was something like 3x3mm sounds small > for a 10x10 package? > > -Lasse
That sounds about right to me. You've got to remember there's a tolerance on the die placement, so the interior die 'room' needs to be larger, then you've got the anchor space for the pins themselves and then the added space for the wirebonds. BGAs can accommodate much larger dies given equivalent sizing to QFP etc etc. They don't require any room for wirebonds in almost all cases.
Reply by November 8, 20052005-11-08
Ray Andraka wrote:
> Tobias Weingartner wrote: > > >In article <dkmrjm$cg8$1@online.de>, Antti Lukats wrote: > > > > > >>as example VQ100 is really nice package very thin, so largest LUTs you get > >>in VQ100 is S3e. etc.. > >> > >> > > > >I realize that there are people out there that need the 1000+ pin packages > >that large-scale FPGAs offer... but I do wish that 2-5 million "gate" FPGAs > >would come in VQ100/144 packages. Personally, I'd love to have the capacity, > >but I really dont need (or want) the complexity and raw bandwidth of having > >to deal with several hundred (or a thousand) pins... > > > > > > > Unfortunately, the size of the cavity in those small packages is far too > small to fit the die for the high density parts, and even if it did fit, > you may have power dissipation issues as well. > > -- > --Ray Andraka, P.E.
any idea how big the dies are?, what will fit in a vq100, the only thing I could find on the web was something like 3x3mm sounds small for a 10x10 package? -Lasse
Reply by Tobias Weingartner November 8, 20052005-11-08
In article <qhhdao850d.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Eric Smith wrote:
> > The problem is that you don't save any significant cost by having the > same size package with fewer balls or pins. So if the die size requires > a package 20mm on a side, it may as well have more than 350 balls, even > if some customers don't end up using all of them.
There is a cost associated with me trying to acquire the resources and planning necessary to have a 1000+ pin FPGA mounted, routed and fed. On the other hand, 144 pins, or even 208 pins in a quad flat pack is pretty much doable... Now, my naivitee(sp?) may show here, it may be that the power requirements for feeding such a beast can simply not be reliably met by the (T)QFP type of package... -- [100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
In article <xVPbf.1529$xD6.92174@news.xtra.co.nz>, Bevan Weiss wrote:
> > Just doesn't work that way unfortunately. The large fabric requires a > large chip package to contain it. If you were to reduce the number of > pin outs, the it would actually require an even larger chip package, as > you would now have to add additional multiplexers etc to control the > routing to the pins.
You've got an FPGA to help you route stuff... :) -- [100~Plax]sb16i0A2172656B63616820636420726568746F6E61207473754A[dZ1!=b]salax
Reply by Jecel November 8, 20052005-11-08
> [largest fabric in small package among fpga families]
Thanks Jim and Antti for clearing that up. -- Jecel
Reply by Ray Andraka November 7, 20052005-11-07
Tobias Weingartner wrote:

>In article <dkmrjm$cg8$1@online.de>, Antti Lukats wrote: > > >>as example VQ100 is really nice package very thin, so largest LUTs you get >>in VQ100 is S3e. etc.. >> >> > >I realize that there are people out there that need the 1000+ pin packages >that large-scale FPGAs offer... but I do wish that 2-5 million "gate" FPGAs >would come in VQ100/144 packages. Personally, I'd love to have the capacity, >but I really dont need (or want) the complexity and raw bandwidth of having >to deal with several hundred (or a thousand) pins... > > >
Unfortunately, the size of the cavity in those small packages is far too small to fit the die for the high density parts, and even if it did fit, you may have power dissipation issues as well. -- --Ray Andraka, P.E. President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc. 401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 email ray@andraka.com http://www.andraka.com "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin, 1759
Reply by November 7, 20052005-11-07
Bevan Weiss wrote:
> Just doesn't work that way unfortunately. The large fabric requires a > large chip package to contain it. If you were to reduce the number of > pin outs, the it would actually require an even larger chip package, > as you would now have to add additional multiplexers etc to control > the routing to the pins.
No, it wouldn't need any extra multiplexers. They would just not bond out as many of the pads to pins. They already do that to offer several package options for each FPGA. The problem is that you don't save any significant cost by having the same size package with fewer balls or pins. So if the die size requires a package 20mm on a side, it may as well have more than 350 balls, even if some customers don't end up using all of them.