Reply by Marco January 27, 20062006-01-27
Symon, thanks, do agree with what you wrote, it's straight and simple.
Thanks

Reply by Symon January 27, 20062006-01-27
Hi Marco,
So, for a cap

V = Q / C.

Let's say we want 3V rise, C = 11pF, we can drive 24mA, so

3 = 24mA * t / 11pF  , where t is time.

t = 3 * 11pF / 24mA = 1.375 ns.

You can see the probe's capacitance is limiting the rise time you're
measuring. 24mA takes 1.4 nS to charge the 'scope probe's capacitance. I
think you need a faster scope and a FET probe, maybe 2GHz and a probe
capacitance of 1-2pF. Or ask Xilinx for some data?

HTH, Syms.

"Marco" <marco@marylon.com> wrote in message
> They're 11.1pF and 10MOhm, also 500Mhz bandwith. > Marco >
Reply by Marco January 27, 20062006-01-27
Brian, thanks for the links, I also work with ISE 7.1SP4
Marco

Reply by Marco January 27, 20062006-01-27
They're 11.1pF and 10MOhm, also 500Mhz bandwith.
Marco

Reply by Symon January 27, 20062006-01-27
Marco,
What's the probe's impedance? Also, the Tektronix TDS5054 appears to be a
500MHz bandwidth 'scope. This bandwidth limitation will be having an effect
on your measurements.
Cheers, Syms.
> I'm using a Tektronix TDS5054 and, after better tuning it all, I find > rise times to be (fast-slow): > 1.6ns and 1.9ns (drive=16, IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33) > 1.4ns and 1.8ns (drive=24, IOSTANDARD=LVCOMS33) > 9ns and 6ns (drive=2, IOSTANDARD=LVCOMS33), yes 9-6, not 6-9 > Are these (mainly the first and the second) reasonable? > Thanks, Marco >
Reply by Marco January 27, 20062006-01-27
I'm using a Tektronix TDS5054 and, after better tuning it all, I find
rise times to be (fast-slow):
1.6ns and 1.9ns (drive=16, IOSTANDARD=LVCMOS33)
1.4ns and 1.8ns (drive=24, IOSTANDARD=LVCOMS33)
9ns and 6ns (drive=2, IOSTANDARD=LVCOMS33), yes 9-6, not 6-9
Are these (mainly the first and the second) reasonable?
Thanks, Marco

Reply by Brian Davis January 27, 20062006-01-27
Antti wrote:
> > the default IOBANK VCC is different in different devices so if you use 3.3V > standard in an bank that has any IO not set to 3.3 (eg left defualt) then > the defaults (on S3) will yield to 2.5 and causes PAR to fail. > > in designs for modern Xilinx FPGAs S3/V4 it is recommended (my > recommendation) to specify IOSTANDARD for ALL USED pins (located or not) > only then you are sure that there will be no conflicts during PAR. > > Antti
Another related item worth noting: you used to be able to put HDL pin attributes in the top level code to avoid UCF errors on unused pins; however, version 7.1sp4 of XST/ISE coughs up an error on this construct because the unused input defaults back to 2.5V banking, even though you told it otherwise! I posted some example code and notes over here: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/msg/afce49b66c1989aa http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch.fpga/msg/8955e7209e0c3929
> > There is a 7.1iSP4 bug with assigning IOSTANDARDs and LOCS >using HDL attributes. Unused LOC'd inputs drop their IOSTANDARD >definitions and default back to LVCMOS25, causing banking errors. >
Brian
Reply by Symon January 27, 20062006-01-27
Hi Marco,
Maybe your 'scope and probe measurement combination is the limiting factor?
Can you tell us what setup you have? Are you using a FET probe?
Cheers, Syms.
> Antti, I attached an oscilloscope on the 2 pins I use to read the same > signal. The first pin is set to FAST, the other one to SLOW, but their > rise and fall bahaviour is identical, I can overlap the 2 traces on the > screen, so I think I'm wrong somewhere, even if on the .pad_txt file > they appear to be correctly set. > Marco >
Reply by Marco January 27, 20062006-01-27
Antti, I attached an oscilloscope on the 2 pins I use to read the same
signal. The first pin is set to FAST, the other one to SLOW, but their
rise and fall bahaviour is identical, I can overlap the 2 traces on the
screen, so I think I'm wrong somewhere, even if on the .pad_txt file
they appear to be correctly set.
Marco

Reply by Antti Lukats January 27, 20062006-01-27
I have measuered the delay difference fast<>slow on S3 its pretty significant. but if you see the difference depends on your method of measuerment of course. -- Antti Lukats http://www.xilant.com