Reply by Austin Lesea November 7, 20032003-11-07
Rick,

Not true at Xilinx.  Closing a case that is unresolved with an unhappy
customer is potentially grounds for disciplinary action.

That is why I am the volunteer 'lightning rod' for such complaints.  I am not
interested in disciplining folks, but rather in improving the service that is
offered (find the problem:  fix it).

Austin

rickman wrote:

> Just remember that support people get graded on how quickly they close > cases, not how "well" they close them (as least as far as I can tell). > And this is not limited to Altera. Speed is clearly the primary > evaluation of support at most companies. > > Joe Thompson wrote: > > > > I'm in the middle of a similar situation. I just reported a fatal, > > reproducible error on "My Support." Once the tech was able to > > reproduce the error, his response was that the bug would be "fixed in > > a future version..." Case closed. > > > > He also said that he successfully tested the design using the > > integrated FPGA Compiler II tool (I'm using Precision) and recommended > > that approach as a workaround. I tried it and found that my > > utilization jumped from ~75% with Precision to 116% with the > > integrated synthesis. > > > > Needless to say, I am not impressed. > > > > Joe > > ------------------------------------------------------------ > > Joe G. Thompson Phone: (603) 512-9003 > > joe@advancedprinciples.com Fax: (208) 730-5713 > > > > On 3 Nov 2003 01:05:37 -0800, rotemg@mysticom.com (Rotem Gazit) wrote: > > > > >Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When > > >we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". > > >After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem > > >is urgent. > > >After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the > > >local FAE and providing no more information. > > >I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your > > >service request will be closed" . > > -- > > Rick "rickman" Collins > > rick.collins@XYarius.com > Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY > removed. > > Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company > Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com > 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice > Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply by rickman November 7, 20032003-11-07

Joe Thompson wrote:
> > I'm in the middle of a similar situation. I just reported a fatal, > reproducible error on "My Support." Once the tech was able to > reproduce the error, his response was that the bug would be "fixed in > a future version..." Case closed. > > He also said that he successfully tested the design using the > integrated FPGA Compiler II tool (I'm using Precision) and recommended > that approach as a workaround. I tried it and found that my > utilization jumped from ~75% with Precision to 116% with the > integrated synthesis. > > Needless to say, I am not impressed. > > Joe > ------------------------------------------------------------ > Joe G. Thompson Phone: (603) 512-9003 > joe@advancedprinciples.com Fax: (208) 730-5713 > > On 3 Nov 2003 01:05:37 -0800, rotemg@mysticom.com (Rotem Gazit) wrote: > > >Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When > >we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". > >After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem > >is urgent. > >After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the > >local FAE and providing no more information. > >I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your > >service request will be closed" .
-- Rick "rickman" Collins rick.collins@XYarius.com Ignore the reply address. To email me use the above address with the XY removed. Arius - A Signal Processing Solutions Company Specializing in DSP and FPGA design URL http://www.arius.com 4 King Ave 301-682-7772 Voice Frederick, MD 21701-3110 301-682-7666 FAX
Reply by Joe Thompson November 6, 20032003-11-06
I'm in the middle of a similar situation.  I just reported a fatal,
reproducible error on "My Support."  Once the tech was able to
reproduce the error, his response was that the bug would be "fixed in
a future version..."  Case closed.

He also said that he successfully tested the design using the
integrated FPGA Compiler II tool (I'm using Precision) and recommended
that approach as a workaround.  I tried it and found that my
utilization jumped from ~75% with Precision to 116% with the
integrated synthesis.

Needless to say, I am not impressed.

Joe
Joe G. Thompson                        Phone: (603) 512-9003
joe@advancedprinciples.com               Fax: (208) 730-5713

On 3 Nov 2003 01:05:37 -0800, rotemg@mysticom.com (Rotem Gazit) wrote:

>Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When >we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". >After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem >is urgent. >After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the >local FAE and providing no more information. >I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your >service request will be closed" .
Reply by Jerry November 3, 20032003-11-03
OH yea, this sounds like the support I get when using the web site.
My FAE is very good so I have switched over to calling him first.
Good luck, I think you are going to need it.

"Rotem Gazit" <rotemg@mysticom.com> wrote in message
> We have been working with Xilinx parts for the past 4 years. > Whenever I had problem the local FAE couldn't solve I used the Xilinx > WEB case system. > I always got very fast and professional response, usually within the > same working day. > > Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When > we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". > After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem > is urgent. > After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the > local FAE and providing no more information. > I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your > service request will be closed" . > > Did anyone else had this kind , maybe better ?, experience with Altera > web support ? > I think that as FPGAs become more and more complicated, and design > cycles shorter, the support level is becoming one of the key factors > when selecting an FPGA. > > Cheers, > Rotem
Reply by Mike Treseler November 3, 20032003-11-03
Rotem Gazit wrote:

> After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the > local FAE and providing no more information. > I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your > service request will be closed".
For Altera technical problems, I call the FAE. He calls back the same day, and sometimes knows the answer. He has a direct line to support if he doesn't. The Altera web site has good docs and FAQs, but I only enter a web case if I have a well-defined reproducable bug.
> I think that as FPGAs become more and more complicated, and design > cycles shorter, the support level is becoming one of the key factors > when selecting an FPGA.
I agree. FPGAs are just a big bag of gates and flops. Design decisions are now mostly based on service. -- Mike Treseler
Reply by Marc November 3, 20032003-11-03
Hi Rotem,

absolutly not, my experience isn't so bad.
I get answers from mySupport within the same working day (as far it is
possible over the Atlantic ocean ;-))

Marc

rotemg@mysticom.com (Rotem Gazit) wrote in message news:<86b060d0.0311030105.2488bb09@posting.google.com>...
> We have been working with Xilinx parts for the past 4 years. > Whenever I had problem the local FAE couldn't solve I used the Xilinx > WEB case system. > I always got very fast and professional response, usually within the > same working day. > > Recently we decided to use Altera Cyclone part in a new design. When > we ran into problems I opened a web case using "Altera's my support". > After two days of silence I added an update explaining why the problem > is urgent. > After 10 days !!! I got the first response asking for the name of the > local FAE and providing no more information. > I answered the question and in exchange I got email saying "your > service request will be closed" . > > Did anyone else had this kind , maybe better ?, experience with Altera > web support ? > I think that as FPGAs become more and more complicated, and design > cycles shorter, the support level is becoming one of the key factors > when selecting an FPGA. > > Cheers, > Rotem
Reply by Rotem Gazit November 3, 20032003-11-03