Reply by mitshek June 26, 20072007-06-26
Wow, I'm embarrassed.

You were right, I forgot the part in the manual/readme which says I need to
load the DE1_USB_API pof/sof file.  It's working now!

I bought my kit through digikey.com, and it came (flash) preloaded with the
flashing-lights demo-application -- apparently not the same FPGA-bitstream
as the Control-Panel applet.

"RedskullDC" <red@oz.org> wrote in message
> Hi, > > You are of course copying the default project back to the FPGA that comes > on the CD? > DE1_USB_API.pof/sof ? > (or whatever Altera call it on their CD, I bought mine direct from > TerASIC) > > The control panel will 'see" the USB port, but will only "talk" to the > default project > (or something that emulates it). > > Red > > "mitshek" <noal@ajkl.com> wrote in message > news:e3Afi.8490$c06.4187@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net... >> I'm using Altera's "Cyclone II Starter Kit", and while the board seems to >> work fine, I can't figure out one of the bundled utility programs. >> >> I installed the Cyclone II Starter Kit CD on my Windows/XP machine. I'm >> able to use Quartus II 7.1 (web) to compile and then download projects to >> the board -- That works fine. >> >> However, I cannot get the "Control Panel - Starter II Kit" application to >> work. I launch it, and the application window comes up. It appears to >> work fine -- I can 'open USB' connection to my board, then click on the >> various tabs (sram, sdram, led, etc.) and toggle the controls. However, >> when I click 'set' on anything, nothing happens. I see the blue-light on >> my Kit board flicker momentarily, so it's getting some kind of traffic >> from the PC. But otherwise, nothing happens. >> >> For example, I tried the 'SRAM' tab, and wrote several unique values >> (0x0123, 0x4567) to the SRAM at address 0x00 and 0x01. But, when I read >> them back, they always come back 0x0000. The Control Panel's built-in >> self-test also fails on the sdram, sram, and flash. >> >> What am I doing wrong? I tried toggling the RUN/PROG switch (SW12) back >> and forth, then cycling power to the board. With either position, Control >> Panel applet still doesn't work. >> >
Reply by RedskullDC June 25, 20072007-06-25
Hi,

You are of course copying the default project back to the FPGA that comes on
the CD?
DE1_USB_API.pof/sof ?
(or whatever Altera call it on their CD, I bought mine direct from TerASIC)

The control panel will 'see" the USB port, but will only "talk" to the
default project
(or something that emulates it).

Red

"mitshek" <noal@ajkl.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Altera's "Cyclone II Starter Kit", and while the board seems to > work fine, I can't figure out one of the bundled utility programs. > > I installed the Cyclone II Starter Kit CD on my Windows/XP machine. I'm > able to use Quartus II 7.1 (web) to compile and then download projects to > the board -- That works fine. > > However, I cannot get the "Control Panel - Starter II Kit" application to > work. I launch it, and the application window comes up. It appears to work > fine -- I can 'open USB' connection to my board, then click on the various > tabs (sram, sdram, led, etc.) and toggle the controls. However, when I > click 'set' on anything, nothing happens. I see the blue-light on my Kit > board flicker momentarily, so it's getting some kind of traffic from the > PC. But otherwise, nothing happens. > > For example, I tried the 'SRAM' tab, and wrote several unique values > (0x0123, 0x4567) to the SRAM at address 0x00 and 0x01. But, when I read > them back, they always come back 0x0000. The Control Panel's built-in > self-test also fails on the sdram, sram, and flash. > > What am I doing wrong? I tried toggling the RUN/PROG switch (SW12) back > and forth, then cycling power to the board. With either position, Control > Panel applet still doesn't work. >
Reply by mitshek June 24, 20072007-06-24