Reply by Ray Andraka June 2, 20082008-06-02
Eric Smith wrote:
> Ray Andraka wrote: > >>Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htm demo project >>count? I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly >>well considering there is no analog front end. > > > Very cool! Any plans to publish more details of the design? > > Best regards, > Eric
I had been working on a chapter for it in my book. I gave up the book project because I was finding I couldn't dedicate enough time to it. I may eventually post more details on that page on my website. I kind of want to avoid putting the whole thing up there and giving college students a ready-made project.
Reply by Eric Smith June 2, 20082008-06-02
Ray Andraka wrote:
> Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htm demo project > count? I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly > well considering there is no analog front end.
Very cool! Any plans to publish more details of the design? Best regards, Eric
Reply by Ray Andraka May 30, 20082008-05-30
Brian Davis wrote:

> Ray wrote: > >>Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htmdemo project count? >> I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly well >>considering there is no analog front end. >> > > > FYI, TI now makes a nifty eval board for their ADS554x family > that includes a 3S250E on board, about $300 USD, that makes for > a great low budget 'SDR' platform: > > http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ads5547evm.html > > 14-bit, 210 MSPS ADC > XC3S250E with config flash > expansion connectors for spare FPGA I/O > > Brian
Cool! That would have been nice to have back then. I spent about $400 between the burr brown eval and insight spartanII boards. Having the whole thing on one board would have been nice. I did that design in about 3 weeks right before FCCM so that I'd have it for the demo night. Had I had more time, I was planning to optimize the design some more so that I could get a frequency display on the LCD on the board and some sort of interface (I was thinking a computer mouse) to tune it so that I could do without the laptop. I never got that far though.
MikeWhy wrote:
> "Ray Andraka" <ray@andraka.com> wrote in message > news:3RG%j.77$pa2.9@newsfe21.lga... > >> MikeWhy wrote: >> >>> "austin" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message >>> news:futloc$6jf3@cnn.xsj.xilinx.com... >>> >>>> Keyboard? Computer? Morse? >>>> >>>> Yup, hams have made it to the 21st century. Most hams use an ascii >>>> keyboard to Morse code generator, so I can type as I am typing now, and >>>> send the code (without mistakes). >>> >>> >>> >>> .... >>> >>> And to bring it back on topic, FPGA use in ham specific software >>> defined radio (SDR) is gaining ground and momentum. There's already >>> evidence of that here on this group. >>> >>> Mike. >>> N9XI >>> >> >> Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htm demo project >> count? I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly >> well considering there is no analog front end. > > > Whoa. What's really impressive is there looks to be room left on that > -100 device for a HT and PSK decoder. Or is that block RAM showing in > the FloorPlanner? > >
Thanks. There are 6 of the Block Rams unused, and a few slices scattered around. With some thought and a little more optimization work I'm pretty sure I could get a PSK decoder in there. If I take out the programmable filters, I could do FM demodulation too (which doesn't need the programmable filters). It was a fun project. We had a good time with it at FCCM that year too, tuning broadcasts from Asia with a long-wire antenna strung out over the courtyard.
Reply by May 30, 20082008-05-30
On Apr 24, 10:40 pm, krunal <krunal.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi....I want to implement Sigma Delta ADC in Spartan 3E starter > kit....i have implemented it as xilinx's xapp-155.....in ise it works > well for 8 bit....but give problem for 16 bit.....When i open it in > sysgen it now work.......actually in program the dac.v is > included......i dont know how to open that include file in > sysgen....please help........if any one have verilog or vhdl code for > that please send me........and i want to interface the exeternal ADC > also.....so please help me......
Hi Krunal, I understood you. English is a second language for me as well... Send me the files or links to them and I can see if I can make any sense for you... btw a tip... I would try to learn Mandarin instead of perfecting English. -sanjay
Reply by Brian Davis May 30, 20082008-05-30
Ray wrote:
> > Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htmdemo project count? > I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly well > considering there is no analog front end. >
FYI, TI now makes a nifty eval board for their ADS554x family that includes a 3S250E on board, about $300 USD, that makes for a great low budget 'SDR' platform: http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/ads5547evm.html 14-bit, 210 MSPS ADC XC3S250E with config flash expansion connectors for spare FPGA I/O Brian
Reply by MikeWhy May 30, 20082008-05-30
"Ray Andraka" <ray@andraka.com> wrote in message
> MikeWhy wrote: >> "austin" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message >> news:futloc$6jf3@cnn.xsj.xilinx.com... >> >>> Keyboard? Computer? Morse? >>> >>> Yup, hams have made it to the 21st century. Most hams use an ascii >>> keyboard to Morse code generator, so I can type as I am typing now, and >>> send the code (without mistakes). >> >> >> .... >> >> And to bring it back on topic, FPGA use in ham specific software defined >> radio (SDR) is gaining ground and momentum. There's already evidence of >> that here on this group. >> >> Mike. >> N9XI >> > > Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htm demo project count? I > did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly well > considering there is no analog front end.
Whoa. What's really impressive is there looks to be room left on that -100 device for a HT and PSK decoder. Or is that block RAM showing in the FloorPlanner?
Reply by Ray Andraka May 29, 20082008-05-29
MikeWhy wrote:
> "austin" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message > news:futloc$6jf3@cnn.xsj.xilinx.com... > >> Keyboard? Computer? Morse? >> >> Yup, hams have made it to the 21st century. Most hams use an ascii >> keyboard to Morse code generator, so I can type as I am typing now, and >> send the code (without mistakes). > > > .... > > And to bring it back on topic, FPGA use in ham specific software defined > radio (SDR) is gaining ground and momentum. There's already evidence of > that here on this group. > > Mike. > N9XI >
Well, does this http://www.andraka.com/shortwave.htm demo project count? I did it as a demo back in early 2003. It worked surprisingly well considering there is no analog front end.
Reply by MikeWhy May 29, 20082008-05-29
"austin" <austin@xilinx.com> wrote in message
> Keyboard? Computer? Morse? > > Yup, hams have made it to the 21st century. Most hams use an ascii > keyboard to Morse code generator, so I can type as I am typing now, and > send the code (without mistakes).
.... And to bring it back on topic, FPGA use in ham specific software defined radio (SDR) is gaining ground and momentum. There's already evidence of that here on this group. Mike. N9XI
Reply by austin April 28, 20082008-04-28
Symon,

I sometimes feel impatient, and react poorly to posts where 10 minutes
with Google, and the poster would have their answer.

However, I feel that we should all be patient.  We were all ignorant at
one time.

There is no supported forum for students, and those wishing to learn
about FPGAs.  One of their only resources is this newsgroup.

As for semaphores and Aldiss Lamps, no, I am not proficient in either.
But we did use an AM modulated laser pens one field day to communicate a
few Km between hilltops (with 1 cm^2 solar cell demodulators).

Austin