Reply by Gabor August 22, 20082008-08-22
On Jul 31, 11:36 am, "HT-Lab" <han...@ht-lab.com> wrote:
> "Gabor" <ga...@alacron.com> wrote in message > > news:23a70911-0da5-4c72-8e52-dd8bbdb09035@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > > > > >I often look through waveform views with many screens worth of > > signals, > > so I like to re-arrange the signals to have those of interest at the > > top of > > the view. With ModelSim PE 5.7, I could find the signals I wanted, > > select them, then cut (Ctrl+X), go to the top of the window (Ctrl > > +Home) > > and paste (Ctrl+V) these signals at the top of the window. > > > Now with ModelSim 6.3, I find that this trick doesn't work with > > multi-bit vectors anymore. I get errors like: > > > # Paste insertion failed: sim:/tst_brd_test/uut/app_af_addr: The "- > > min" and "-max" options can only be used with analog formats. > > > I have no clue what this error message means, but my only work- > > around is to painfully drag the vector to the top of the window, > > waiting > > for an annoyingly slow scroll when the signal needs to move more than > > a screen's height. Is there a better way to do this? > > > Regards, > > Gabor > > For what it is worth, I just tried it out in 6.4 under XP and it seems to > work OK. If you don't want to change to 6.4 try 6.3h, > > Hanswww.ht-lab.com
Right now I don't want to juggle ModelSim versions, especially since I'm running the branded XE and Lattice editions. However I found that earlier versions including 6.2, which shipped in the XE edition with ISE 9.2i do not exhibit this problem. In any case I found a better work-around for moving signal names in the wave view. You can select multiple non-adjacent signals by control- clicking the name. You can then drag the whole lot by mousing on any one of the selected signals. So the obvious workaround is to also select one signal near where you want to drop the whole bunch of them and dragging it as well, even one position up or down. The other signals then end up next to it. Regards, Gabor
Reply by HT-Lab July 31, 20082008-07-31
"Gabor" <gabor@alacron.com> wrote in message
>I often look through waveform views with many screens worth of > signals, > so I like to re-arrange the signals to have those of interest at the > top of > the view. With ModelSim PE 5.7, I could find the signals I wanted, > select them, then cut (Ctrl+X), go to the top of the window (Ctrl > +Home) > and paste (Ctrl+V) these signals at the top of the window. > > Now with ModelSim 6.3, I find that this trick doesn't work with > multi-bit vectors anymore. I get errors like: > > # Paste insertion failed: sim:/tst_brd_test/uut/app_af_addr: The "- > min" and "-max" options can only be used with analog formats. > > I have no clue what this error message means, but my only work- > around is to painfully drag the vector to the top of the window, > waiting > for an annoyingly slow scroll when the signal needs to move more than > a screen's height. Is there a better way to do this? > > Regards, > Gabor
For what it is worth, I just tried it out in 6.4 under XP and it seems to work OK. If you don't want to change to 6.4 try 6.3h, Hans www.ht-lab.com
Reply by Mike Treseler July 31, 20082008-07-31
Gabor wrote:

> my only work-around is to painfully
> drag the vector to the top of the window, > waiting for an annoyingly slow scroll > when the signal needs to move more than > a screen's height. Is there a better way to do this?
I write a tcl script of add wave commands, -- a ".do" file in vsim-speak. If time allows, I close the loop *in* the testbench so I don't have to look at waves anymore. -- Mike Treseler
Reply by Gabor July 31, 20082008-07-31