Reply by August 10, 20082008-08-10
>I've acquired a spartan 3e starter board, and have completed some of the > simpler tasks on fpga4fun.com. I am looking for some guidance on how >to implement LVDS to control a LCD panel.
>I have the docs on the panel, it is a 1366 x 768 40" LCD from a tv. It >uses 4 lvds pairs @ 80 mhz. I have the datasheet for the panel. They >used a THC63LVDM83R in the tv to do the lvds connection to the panel, >but I am having no luck sourcing one. So I am wondering if I can do >without and if anyone has happened to have had experience doing so.
You can proberbly use another LVTTL -> LVDS transmitter chip. Just pay attention to number of bits and lanes. The Spartan-3E is capable of transmitting LVDS on it's own. The bitrate is limited however to ~500-600 Mbps per differential pair. And the developer board needs a jumper setting to use 2.5V or such I think. There's a datasheet explicitly on using LVDS with Spartan chips from Xilinx. Bitstream format is also a bit backwards, but not a big deal. Please keep us posted on any progress ;)
Reply by Ben Jackson August 10, 20082008-08-10
On 2008-08-10, News <News@News.com> wrote:
> > I have the docs on the panel, it is a 1366 x 768 40" LCD from a tv. It > uses 4 lvds pairs @ 80 mhz. I have the datasheet for the panel. They > used a THC63LVDM83R in the tv to do the lvds connection to the panel,
I did something similar with a 42" plasma display. The original driver was based on an embedded PC that had FPD-Link output, which is a standard similar to what you describe for getting video data over a flex cable in a laptop hinge. It used a DS90CF384 decoder because the panel takes. direct 24-bit parallel RGB. If you google your part you'll see close relatives of that named as alternates for your Thine part, so I bet your protocol is identical to FPD-Link, which has many driver options. If I remember right, 4-wire (clk + 3) is for 16-bit. The other option is to implement your own encoder in the FPGA, which will save you pins. -- Ben Jackson AD7GD <ben@ben.com> http://www.ben.com/
Reply by News August 9, 20082008-08-09
Greetings,

I'll start with my apologizes for being a complete newbie to the fpga world.

I've acquired a spartan 3e starter board, and have completed some of the
  simpler tasks on fpga4fun.com. I am looking for some guidance on how
to implement LVDS to control a LCD panel.

I have the docs on the panel, it is a 1366 x 768 40" LCD from a tv. It
uses 4 lvds pairs @ 80 mhz. I have the datasheet for the panel. They
used a THC63LVDM83R in the tv to do the lvds connection to the panel,
but I am having no luck sourcing one. So I am wondering if I can do
without and if anyone has happened to have had experience doing so.

Thanks for your time.