Reply by MikeWhy May 14, 20092009-05-14
"jayantbala" <jayantbala@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uoCdnSUvHOMiOJbXnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@giganews.com...
> >jayantbala <jayantbala@gmail.com> wrote: >>(snip) >> >>< but for this purpose i dont want to implement TCP/IP >>< .i just simply want to send and receive MAC Packets i.e >>< preamble+Destination Address+source address+type+data+FCS >> >>For type X'0800' that will be hard on many systems. >> >>If you don't need or want TCP, can you use UDP? >>It is a very simple header to add and then send it out. >> >>Receivers can ignore the header, if that is easier, though >>they should probably verify the IP address. >> >>-- glen >> > thank you glen. > I am using XP with intel machine .glen the thing is that i even dont > want > UDP also. cant i write few lines of code in any supportive s/w > language > which can read and write MAC packet over ethernet bcoz my > application > is point 2 point connection. > i just want to make it simple. > > also i am not very much familiar with TCP/IP. so can u suggest me the > S/W language and some gud tutorial for implementing TCP/IP if needed.
libpcap will read and write to the link layer. Please do something about your spelling.
Reply by jayantbala May 14, 20092009-05-14
>jayantbala <jayantbala@gmail.com> wrote: >(snip) > >< but for this purpose i dont want to implement TCP/IP >< .i just simply want to send and receive MAC Packets i.e >< preamble+Destination Address+source address+type+data+FCS > >For type X'0800' that will be hard on many systems. > >If you don't need or want TCP, can you use UDP? >It is a very simple header to add and then send it out. > >Receivers can ignore the header, if that is easier, though >they should probably verify the IP address. > >-- glen >
thank you glen. I am using XP with intel machine .glen the thing is that i even dont want UDP also. cant i write few lines of code in any supportive s/w language which can read and write MAC packet over ethernet bcoz my application is point 2 point connection. i just want to make it simple. also i am not very much familiar with TCP/IP. so can u suggest me the S/W language and some gud tutorial for implementing TCP/IP if needed.
Reply by Nico Coesel May 13, 20092009-05-13
"jayantbala" <jayantbala@gmail.com> wrote:

>hi all , > My objective is to connect the XILINX S3A FPGA Board with PC >using Ethernet .that is i want to send and receive data to/from the PC. > and after that i have to control other h/w of the board by >sending data through ethernet as selected in GUI. > > > but for this purpose i dont want to implement TCP/IP .i just simply >want to > send and receive MAC Packets i.e preamble+Destination Address+source >address > +type+data+FCS > > i am using EDK and emaclite to implement the MAC. > > my questions are : > 1) how can i read and send the packets from PC . > 2) is any s/w available to do so. > 3) is there any s/w language which supports direct reading/writing of >MAC port of PC (e.g we can read/write the com port) > 4) does any body has the code for the same.
Look for libpcap at http://www.tcpdump.org/ With libpcap you can receive and send raw data from and to your ethernet adapter. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!" --------------------------------------------------------------
Reply by glen herrmannsfeldt May 13, 20092009-05-13
jayantbala <jayantbala@gmail.com> wrote:
(snip)

<   but for this purpose i dont want to implement TCP/IP
< .i just simply want to send and receive MAC Packets i.e
< preamble+Destination Address+source address+type+data+FCS

For type X'0800' that will be hard on many systems.

If you don't need or want TCP, can you use UDP?
It is a very simple header to add and then send it out.

Receivers can ignore the header, if that is easier, though
they should probably verify the IP address.

-- glen
Reply by jayantbala May 13, 20092009-05-13