Reply by John Adair June 29, 20092009-06-29
Sudhir

One other Xilinx advantage can be the SRL16 construct where the LUT is
used as a shift register rather than just a ram. The SRL16 alone can
shrink some designs by a lot if the design can make use of it.

For boards in 4 months Spartan-6 would be very difficult to get, if
not impossible, and Spartan-3 is the way for a Xilinx offering in that
timeframe.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Darnaw1 the FPGA PGA Solution.

On 29 June, 14:05, Sudhir Singh <Sudhir.Si...@email.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys, > Thanks for your replies. > > John, its interesting that you suggested Spartan-3A DSP and Spartan-6 > coz I had enquired with a distributor about these two devices just > today. Hopefully Spartan-3A DSP will have a good pricing. > We have to have the boards fabricated in 4 months time so Spartan-6 > may be no-goer at this stage. > > I didn't realise that CIII's LUTs can not be configured as distributed > memory. > > Cheers > Sudhir
Reply by Sudhir Singh June 29, 20092009-06-29
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your replies.

John, its interesting that you suggested Spartan-3A DSP and Spartan-6
coz I had enquired with a distributor about these two devices just
today. Hopefully Spartan-3A DSP will have a good pricing.
We have to have the boards fabricated in 4 months time so Spartan-6
may be no-goer at this stage.

I didn't realise that CIII's LUTs can not be configured as distributed
memory.

Cheers
Sudhir
Reply by Jaime Andres Aranguren Cardona June 29, 20092009-06-29
Hi,

Also, you can better compare C3 to more "modern" offerings from Xilinx, like
S3A(N) or S3A-DSP.

--

Jaime Andres Aranguren C.
SanJaaC Electronics

<Antti.Lukats@googlemail.com> escribi&#4294967295; en el mensaje
On Jun 27, 3:39 pm, Sudhir Singh <Sudhir.Si...@email.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks, > I am currently in the process for selecting an FPGA for one of my > projects. I have always used Xilinx FPGAs but now am considering using > Altera. The Altera Cyclone III FPGAs looks like a very cost effective > device but I have no idea how well it compares performance wise (will > be used for DSP application) to a Spartan3E. > I would be very grateful if someone would be able to provide me few > pros and cons of Cyclone III. > > Thanks > Sudhir
it is matter of taste and preferences but if you compara S3E and C-III i see no reasons not to prefer C-III but as said its a question of taste, or possible corporate policy I would recommend C-III over S3E but my most argument is SPI multiboot capability C-III has it, S3E doesnt of course the amount of BRAM too smallest device CIII has 46 compared to 8K in S3E Antti
Reply by John Adair June 29, 20092009-06-29
Sudhir

It's a matter of luck which works out cheaper for a given project.
Some designs will have a better fit in an Altera and some conversely
Xilinx. Pricing will also vary a lot if it's a "volume" project. On
the xilinx front it would also be worth considering the Spartan-3A or
Spartan-3A DSP. If your manufacturing doesn't start for 6 months or so
Spartan-6 will be a good option as well. Not to leave them out Altera
will no doubt be offering some competition to Spartan-6.

You can try a lot of these device out for fit in the fre versions of
ISE and Quartus respectively.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.- Home of Craignell. The DIL FPGA Solution.

Reply by Antt...@googlemail.com June 28, 20092009-06-28
On Jun 27, 3:39=A0pm, Sudhir Singh <Sudhir.Si...@email.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks, > I am currently in the process for selecting an FPGA for one of my > projects. I have always used Xilinx FPGAs but now am considering using > Altera. The Altera Cyclone III FPGAs looks like a very cost effective > device but I have no idea how well it compares performance wise (will > be used for DSP application) to a Spartan3E. > I would be very grateful if someone would be able to provide me few > pros and cons of Cyclone III. > > Thanks > Sudhir
it is matter of taste and preferences but if you compara S3E and C-III i see no reasons not to prefer C-III but as said its a question of taste, or possible corporate policy I would recommend C-III over S3E but my most argument is SPI multiboot capability C-III has it, S3E doesnt of course the amount of BRAM too smallest device CIII has 46 compared to 8K in S3E Antti
Reply by Sudhir Singh June 27, 20092009-06-27