Reply by self July 25, 20102010-07-25
Hello,

I'm also a linux user for most of my work.  On the other hand, Windows
is not that bad or expensive so I just dual boot. Actel is doing a
great job for a smaller company by releasing their mainline
development code as a linux version but some of the outlier tools,
like FlashPro, are still Windows only as you mention.

Lately I have been playing around with the Arm/Amba IP libraries for
Actel FPGAs.  I'm really impressed by what they get out there for
free. The SoftConsole tool for writing the embedded C code is really
practical and includes an integrated source code debugger that uses
the FlashPro cable to access the On Chip Debug (OCD) hardware of the
Arm processor.  It is based on open source tools but it is still a lot
of stuff to get working together.  I'm willing to meet them halfway
and boot over to Windows 7 to get all that.

What I would really like is for Actel to publish the register level
API for the FlashPro download cables.  Then Open Source people could
do their magic and write a really good linux driver. Linux drivers are
not that hard to do now with libusb allowing user space drivers.

Anyway, I just like it when FPGA vendors put out good solid software.
Linux support is really secondary for me.

  Pete
Reply by F M June 23, 20102010-06-23
On 23 Giu, 11:19, Uwe Bonnes <b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> F M <fmon...@gmail.com> wrote: > > On 17 Giu, 15:11, "shoonya" <manish.paradkar@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> > > wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I a=
> > > running the windows Libero IDE under wine. > > > > While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program =
the
> > > device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk > > > to the programmer. > > > > I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is=
> > > native software for linux which can be used to just program the > > > =A0device andwhich supports smartfusion fpgas. > > > > And which can work on the free gold license. > > > You could try =A0the 2 other ISP ways, DirectC and STAPL player. Both > > shoudl work under linux. > > =A0 =A0http://www.actel.com/download/program_debug/directc/default.aspx > > =A0 =A0http://www.actel.com/download/program_debug/stapl/default.aspx > > Are the BSDL 1532 programming algorithms available? > -- > Uwe Bonnes =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-dar=
mstadt.de
> > Institut fuer Kernphysik =A0Schlossgartenstrasse 9 =A064289 Darmstadt > --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
The algo is inside the STAPL file, which is generated by Libero for Actel devices (under PROGRAMMING FILE button). Then should be available in linux also. What is needed in this case is a LINUX STAPL player. Actel in his site claims it is avaliable. I just had a look. In any case, being the STAPL player 'universal' (it doesn't know anything about device and algo, everithing is wrote in the STAPL file) you can take any available on the net; i.e. ACTEL STAPL player was derived from the ALTERA STAPL player, which released the sources under some open-soft license (big present for Actel). Pls note the I never tried this personally. ISP is a low priority of my working plan. Till now I just collected some info. I'll work on this subject as soon as I will be able to come out from the many problems I have to finish the design on A3PE3000. Cheers, Fabio
Reply by Uwe Bonnes June 23, 20102010-06-23
Are the BSDL 1532 programming algorithms available? -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
wrote:
> Hi, > > I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am > running the windows Libero IDE under wine. > > While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program the > device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to t=
he
> programmer. > > I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a > native software for linux which can be used to just program the device an=
> which supports smartfusion fpgas. > > And which can work on the free gold license. > > Thanks > Manish > > --------------------------------------- =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
You could try the 2 other ISP ways, DirectC and STAPL player. Both shoudl work under linux. http://www.actel.com/download/program_debug/directc/default.aspx http://www.actel.com/download/program_debug/stapl/default.aspx Regards, Fabio
Reply by Jan Coombs June 22, 20102010-06-22
shoonya wrote:

> I don't want to buy a windows license. I'll need it if I have to run it > under virtualbox.
If you can borrow an XP pro install disk, and get something out of a skip with an XP pro sticker on it, then you have done your part towards keeping windows alive! Jan Coombs
Reply by Antti June 22, 20102010-06-22
On Jun 22, 9:39=A0am, "shoonya"
<manish.paradkar@n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> >shoonya wrote: > >> Hi, > > >> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am > >> running the windows Libero IDE under wine. > > >I tried to install the Linux version of Libero, but gave up when it > >looked as though the tools would not work. > > >Next I tried Win XP pro under the open source version of O/Sun > >VirtualBox. Install was easy, but screen cramped, and couldn't use USB. > > >Finally installed the closed source version of VirtualBox. USB > >ports can be forwarded, and screen is larger once the windows and > >linux desktops are combined. > > >Both USB connections to my Igloo nano board were recognised by > >Windows, and looked usable, but have not yet done any serious > >development. > > >Jan Coombs > > Hi Jan, > > I don't want to buy a windows license. I'll need it if I have to run it > under virtualbox. > > The flaspro3 programmer is implemented in a proasic chip - if only they > provide a native linux driver for it. > > So for now I have installed it on an old laptop with windows xp on it whi=
ch
> I have kept around for such situations :(. > > Too bad the tools get in the way of developing things. > > Regards > Manish >
thats YOUR problem that you dont want to buy windows license you can of course program actel chip under linux, but not with flashpro, so its your choice, want flashpro, get windows, easy as that. windows license doesnt cost that much that it would a be real problem to use proper FPGA tools (flashpro) Antti PS we have our own actel flash tools, and yes they have open interface so they can be used under linux if anyone interested
Reply by shoonya June 22, 20102010-06-22
>shoonya wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am >> running the windows Libero IDE under wine. > >I tried to install the Linux version of Libero, but gave up when it >looked as though the tools would not work. > >Next I tried Win XP pro under the open source version of O/Sun >VirtualBox. Install was easy, but screen cramped, and couldn't use USB. > >Finally installed the closed source version of VirtualBox. USB >ports can be forwarded, and screen is larger once the windows and >linux desktops are combined. > >Both USB connections to my Igloo nano board were recognised by >Windows, and looked usable, but have not yet done any serious >development. > >Jan Coombs >
Hi Jan, I don't want to buy a windows license. I'll need it if I have to run it under virtualbox. The flaspro3 programmer is implemented in a proasic chip - if only they provide a native linux driver for it. So for now I have installed it on an old laptop with windows xp on it which I have kept around for such situations :(. Too bad the tools get in the way of developing things. Regards Manish --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by Jan Coombs June 21, 20102010-06-21
shoonya wrote:
> Hi, > > I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am > running the windows Libero IDE under wine.
I tried to install the Linux version of Libero, but gave up when it looked as though the tools would not work. Next I tried Win XP pro under the open source version of O/Sun VirtualBox. Install was easy, but screen cramped, and couldn't use USB. Finally installed the closed source version of VirtualBox. USB ports can be forwarded, and screen is larger once the windows and linux desktops are combined. Both USB connections to my Igloo nano board were recognised by Windows, and looked usable, but have not yet done any serious development. Jan Coombs
Reply by shoonya June 18, 20102010-06-18
>On 17 Jun., 15:11, "shoonya" <manish.paradkar@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> >wrote: >[..] >> I recently got the Actel Smartfusion eval kit. Since I use Linux, I am >> running the windows Libero IDE under wine. >> >> While the application runs fine under wine, I am not able to program
the
>> device with the Flashpro software. Seems like it is not able to talk to
the
>> programmer. >> >> I know this is as much a wine issue, but i wanted to know if there is a >> native software for linux which can be used to just program the device
and
>> which supports smartfusion fpgas. >. >First there is also a linux version of most tools in Libero. But it >has drawbacks in performance against windows. It might be that wine >+windows version shows better performance than linux native version of >the tools. > >For programming there is only the windows version of the FlashPro. I >guess this is due to the fact that the programmer needs direct control >of the interface. At least the older versions of FlashPro required >admin rights for programming over parallel port. I have no experience >with wine, but expect that wine won't allow that direct access to the >hardware that FlashPro seems to require. > >bye Thomas >
Hi Thomas, >For programming there is only the windows version of the FlashPro. That is it. There is no native Linux version of Flashpro. :( Wine will only allow direct access to the hardware if that hardware has a native linux driver loaded. Regards Manish --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by Thomas Stanka June 18, 20102010-06-18
On 17 Jun., 15:11, "shoonya" <manish.paradkar@n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
[..]