Reply by Sink0 October 18, 20102010-10-18
I have checked this before. A guy from edaboard gave me this advice but
they just got PLL with BGA package. About why i dont want to use BGA?
Becouse is much more expensive for assemble. Well i cant say about other
countries. But in Brazil it is.

But thank you for the advice. And just for information. This is not
intended for a comercial product in a low range time. Its for R&D
purposes.

Cya

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by Frank Buss October 18, 20102010-10-18
rickman wrote:

> BTW, even lower cost than the Lattice XP parts is the Silicon Blue > iCE65 part line. The smallest parts are around $2-$3 and also come in > 100 TQFP or even smaller chip scale packages.
Sounds interesting, but the shop at "buy online" shows only "call" for the price for all parts, and "call" for "quantity avail." for most parts. Are you sure you can really buy it in small quantities and less than some months delivery time? -- Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss
Reply by rickman October 18, 20102010-10-18
On Oct 17, 6:07=A0pm, "Sink0" <sink00@n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> >In general, you don't need to worry about FPGA or CPLD parts being > >discontinued for many years. =A0For example, if you really need them, > >Xilinx still ships parts they originally built 15 years ago! =A0The > >other companies are the same. =A0They just get more expensive after 8 or > >10 years. > > >If price and size is important I would recommend that you look at the > >XP Flash based FPGA family from Lattice. =A0Yes, Lattice is not Atmel, > >but you said you wanted to optimize the design, not the development > >process. =A0Pick one. > > >You can get 3 kLUTs in a 100 pin QFP for under $10 in quantity, > >LFXP3C-3TN100C. =A0Mouser typically has stock of a couple hundred or > >so. =A0Otherwise it is 8 week delivery. > > >Rick > > Yea. I will take a look on that! Thank you for your advice! That might he=
lp
> a lot. But just wondering, why you wrote that Lattice is not Atmel? Did n=
ot
> understand that. > > Any other sugestions are still apreciated. =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0
Opps, I meant Altera... you said you wanted to stick with Altera and Lattice is not Altera. BTW, even lower cost than the Lattice XP parts is the Silicon Blue iCE65 part line. The smallest parts are around $2-$3 and also come in 100 TQFP or even smaller chip scale packages. Rick
Reply by Sink0 October 17, 20102010-10-17
> >In general, you don't need to worry about FPGA or CPLD parts being >discontinued for many years. For example, if you really need them, >Xilinx still ships parts they originally built 15 years ago! The >other companies are the same. They just get more expensive after 8 or >10 years. > >If price and size is important I would recommend that you look at the >XP Flash based FPGA family from Lattice. Yes, Lattice is not Atmel, >but you said you wanted to optimize the design, not the development >process. Pick one. > >You can get 3 kLUTs in a 100 pin QFP for under $10 in quantity, >LFXP3C-3TN100C. Mouser typically has stock of a couple hundred or >so. Otherwise it is 8 week delivery. > >Rick >
Yea. I will take a look on that! Thank you for your advice! That might help a lot. But just wondering, why you wrote that Lattice is not Atmel? Did not understand that. Any other sugestions are still apreciated. --------------------------------------- Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by rickman October 17, 20102010-10-17
On Oct 17, 9:51 am, "Sink0" <sink00@n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> The idea of using the uC or DSP is considered at some cases but not always. > The processin requiriments of every node of the network are completely > different. Some nodes might just need a simple 16 bits uC or maybe a 300Mhz > DSP. I cannot say that it would be a general solution. > > About the price. Yes i still have to evaluate the price of the Flash+FPGA > compared to the FPGA with internal Flash. About using an external PLL, i > really cant answer as i never used one for clock generation. I dont know if > i can find an external PLL that can generate 2 outputs, and one shifted 90 > degrees from the other. How about the skew problem between both outputs. > The clock lines would have to be very well designed no? > > Any comment about one Cyclone I is getting discontinued?
In general, you don't need to worry about FPGA or CPLD parts being discontinued for many years. For example, if you really need them, Xilinx still ships parts they originally built 15 years ago! The other companies are the same. They just get more expensive after 8 or 10 years. If price and size is important I would recommend that you look at the XP Flash based FPGA family from Lattice. Yes, Lattice is not Atmel, but you said you wanted to optimize the design, not the development process. Pick one. You can get 3 kLUTs in a 100 pin QFP for under $10 in quantity, LFXP3C-3TN100C. Mouser typically has stock of a couple hundred or so. Otherwise it is 8 week delivery. Rick
Reply by Sink0 October 17, 20102010-10-17
The idea of using the uC or DSP is considered at some cases but not always.
The processin requiriments of every node of the network are completely
different. Some nodes might just need a simple 16 bits uC or maybe a 300Mhz
DSP. I cannot say that it would be a general solution.

About the price. Yes i still have to evaluate the price of the Flash+FPGA
compared to the FPGA with internal Flash. About using an external PLL, i
really cant answer as i never used one for clock generation. I dont know if
i can find an external PLL that can generate 2 outputs, and one shifted 90
degrees  from the other. How about the skew problem between both outputs.
The clock lines would have to be very well designed no?

Any comment about one Cyclone I is getting discontinued?

Thank you!

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
Reply by Michael S October 16, 20102010-10-16
/www.date-conference.com/proceedings/PAPERS/2010/DATE10/PDFFILE...
> . > > The fisrt questions is: Is possible to implement such oversampling on a > CPLD? Does CPLDs got any kind of PLL or something like that? > > Second: Do you think CPLDs are going to stay on the market for a long tim=
e?
> Or they are going to disapear and there will be just FPGAs? > > Third: This device must got a real small footprint. The best i found was =
> EP1C3 of Altera, but any one knows how long is going to take until this > device is discontinued? > > Any sugestion of using a CPLD or FPGA for this design, or sugestions of a=
ny
> small fottprint (no BGA) FPGA of Altera or Xilinx (i got the download cab=
le
> of both and dont want to get a new one). > > Thank you! =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > > --------------------------------------- =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
Did you consider completely dropping uC/DSP and building design in System-On-Programmable-Chip style? If the sw code and/or memory footprint is very small it's often no- brainier. If the sw code and/or memory footprint is too big to fit in on-chip memory of uC/DSP it's also often no-brainier. Only in the middle, where software fits in flash+SRAM of uC but doesn't fit in internal memory of low-cost FPGA, the uC+FPGA ends up more attractive.
Reply by Jaime Andres Aranguren C. October 16, 20102010-10-16
"Sink0" <sink00@n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote in message
>I dont really need LVDS as i am using an external tranceiver. Most of FPGAs > LVDS ports cant drive a MLVDS bus. Not enough current. The MachXO is more > expensive than a Cayclone and the smallest footprint is the same. But the > best point is no need of external flash. I am not totally disconsidering > other vendors, but i strongly prefer one that i got some experience and > tools. > > Thank you! > > --------------------------------------- > Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com >
Think in terms of system, not components only. What is more expensive in the long run for your project: MachXO (or other flash based part) or FPGA + Configuration memory? I am not saying the flash-based part will be the winner here, only saying that it is worth comparing, and it all depends on your project requirements. Regards, JaaC
Reply by Gabor October 15, 20102010-10-15
On Oct 15, 2:56=A0pm, "Sink0" <sink00@n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
wrote:
> I dont really need LVDS as i am using an external tranceiver. Most of FPG=
As
> LVDS ports cant drive a MLVDS bus. Not enough current. The MachXO is more > expensive than a Cayclone and the smallest footprint is the same. But the > best point is no need of external flash. I am not totally disconsidering > other vendors, but i strongly prefer one that i got some experience and > tools. > > Thank you! =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > > --------------------------------------- =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 > Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com
I'm a long time Xilinx-user and found that the Lattice tools and architecture are similar enough that there was not a big learning curve. If you don't need LVDS, then the only other showstopper in a CPLD is how many flip-flops you have in the design. FPGA's are much richer in fabric flip-flops for a given size of part. Still I don't remember seeing PLL's in a real CPLD. Can you do it with a separate PLL part? You can get some PLL's intended for cleaning up clock jitter that have very good spec's in a small TSSOP or QFN package. Then if you don't need more flip-flops than are reasonable in a CPLD you can again find very small QFN parts. Any reason you don't want to consider BGA packages? Regards, Gabor
Reply by Sink0 October 15, 20102010-10-15