Reply by Leon Heller May 25, 20042004-05-25
"Matt Cohen" <matthewlawrencecohen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > I've done a bunch of work with FPGAs in courses that I took, but in > all those cases I was using either Xilinx's FPGA demoboards or an > Altera board designed by my university. For my lab now I'm designing > a board that will have a Xilinx CPLD on it, and not much else. I'm > sort of the token EE in my lab, and having just gotten my bachelor's > last year, I've never really designed a board. My main question > now...I want to be able to easily reprogram the CPLD, so to access the > JTAG interface I could just put some header pins on the board and wire > them up to the right device pins, correct? Also, it seems to me like > the board would have to be powered up, i.e. plugged into the back > plane, to be programmed. This might not be so convenient as the > electronics box it will be going in is pretty far away from the PC > that the design is being on. Am i mistaken in that the board needs to > be powered up, or can the cable supply the power? I guess a solution > would be to add another header to connect to a separate, portable, > 3.3V power supply. Thanks,
Most programming adaptors for CPLDs and FPGAs, like those from Altera and Xilinx, get their power from the target board, so you will need a separate supply to your board. Just wire the header up to the pins on the device. Leon
Reply by Matt Cohen May 25, 20042004-05-25
[...]
Matt Cohen