FPGARelated.com
Forums

Vivado Tcl

Started by Kocsonya 3 years ago3 replieslatest reply 3 years ago247 views

I'd like to use Vivado in non-project mode, using makefiles and Tcl scripts. However, my chip is a Zynq-7000 SoC where Vivado needs to generate a module representing the processing system component with all of its AXI ports and other signals that go to the FPGA proper.

I know how to do that in project mode, but can't figure it out for the non-project mode.

Does anyone have any experience of that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

[ - ]
Reply by rnpAugust 24, 2021

Hallo Kocsonya,

Vivado offers a way to this. Just follow te steps (see image below):

1. Open the desired block design
  2. go to the menu: file -> export
  3. select "Export Block Design"
  4. vivado will open a new window and ask you to enter a name directory for the tcl file

Cheers,

Rafael.

screenshot_20210822_114631_80422.png

[ - ]
Reply by KocsonyaAugust 24, 2021

Rafael,

Thanks for answering, but the point of the exercise is not to open the GUI. I know that method. The Tcl file it writes out is a project mode representation of the block design. That is, when you pass that Tcl file to Vivado, it will then create a directory with lots of files in it.

What I'd like to know if I can do that without opening the GUI. Have a Tcl file which creates just a single Verilog file which contains a module representing Zynq's internal ports to the FPGA and nothing else. No GUI, no project creation, no Vivado maintaining sources.

Thanks again,

Kocsonya

[ - ]
Reply by rnpAugust 24, 2021

Hello Kocsonya,

You can use the generated tcl file to add the PS + AXI connections and IP, and you can just strip out the part related to the Vivado project.

Regards,

Rafael.