Suse 9.1 Linux and Xilinx ISE 6.2i

Started by salman sheikh June 16, 2004
Hello,

I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as
anything.  Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of
RAM.  On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit
that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)?

Thanks.

Salman
salman sheikh wrote:
> Hello, > > I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as > anything. Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of > RAM. On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit > that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)?
Well, I run ISE 6.1i on a dual Opteron 244 w/ 3GIG of DRAM. Just starting the ISE project manager takes 15+ seconds. And it's amazing that such a fast machine can feel so slow. impact is also embarassingly slow to start up. It looks like JAVA widgets, although I've also seen hints of compatibility libraries in use. I'm not privy. The GUI stuff really is gawd-awful slow, but other than fpga_editor and iMPACT, I stick with command line tools. My impression there is that the command line tools work just fine. -- Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. steve at icarus.com But I have promises to keep, http://www.icarus.com and lines to code before I sleep, http://www.picturel.com And lines to code before I sleep."
Oddly enough, running the Windows version of ISE under Wine/Linux is significantly more responsive than the Linux "native" version... sigh. -- My real email is akamail.com@dclark (or something like that).

salman sheikh wrote:

> Hello, > > I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as > anything. Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of > RAM. On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit > that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)?
I've been using the Windows version on Windows 2000, running under VMWare emulation, on a Mandrake Linux OS. Some people tell me it is slower than running just a native Win OS and the application, but I don't seem to notice the difference. (Just one small data point.) Jon
Duane Clark wrote:
> salman sheikh wrote: >> I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as >> anything. Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of >> RAM. On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit >> that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)?
> Oddly enough, running the Windows version of ISE under Wine/Linux is > significantly more responsive than the Linux "native" version... sigh.
I've noticed that things run faster under wine also, the native versions seem to have some horrid windowsesq gui toolkit that spends rather a lot of time doing DNS lookups for every window/widget it needs to draw.. I notice that the Java based Coregen is much more responsive that the rest of the system. Commandline tools fly, we place and route on a duel hyperthreded xeon (4 logical cpus) and setting 4 designs off in parallel gives impressive performace, made the time spent building large Makefiles worth while.
On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:39:17 -0400, salman sheikh wrote:

> Hello, > > I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as > anything. Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of > RAM. On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit > that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)? > > Thanks. > > > Salman
I'm surprised that they ran on SUSE 9.1 at all. The GUI tools don't work on Mandrake 10.0, I'm still using Mandrake 9.2 on my workstation because of this. The only GUI tool I ever use is FPGA Editor and that works OK even though I'm using an old machine, 500MHz PIII with 512M RAM. I do everything else with CLI and that works fine. The thing that you absolutely can't do is run the GUI tools remotely, the performance over an ethernet is horrendous. Everything else I use, Cadence's NC, Mentor's ModelSim, both work fine on Mandrake 10 and there is no performance penalty when running them over a network. Hopefully Xilinx will switch to a decent toolkit in future releases, one that isn't tied to a particular distribution and that has reasonable performance.
>Commandline tools fly, we place and route on a duel hyperthreded xeon (4 >logical cpus) and setting 4 designs off in parallel gives impressive >performace, made the time spent building large Makefiles worth while.
Makefiles are good anyway. Think of them as documentation. Beats scraps of paper with notes about what you have to do in the GUI to get the right answer. Doubly so if some of the GUI flags are sticky so you only have to do it "once" and it doesn't get added to the checklist. -- The suespammers.org mail server is located in California. So are all my other mailboxes. Please do not send unsolicited bulk e-mail or unsolicited commercial e-mail to my suespammers.org address or any of my other addresses. These are my opinions, not necessarily my employer's. I hate spam.
General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 08:39:17 -0400, salman sheikh wrote: > > >>Hello, >> >>I just installed Xilinx ISE 6.2i on a Linux box and it is sluggish as >>anything. Does anyone know why? I am running on a P4 1.7GHz w/ 1GB of >>RAM. On windows, it is much more zippy. Could it be the gui toolkit >>that Xilinx is using (it seems like JAVA.......slow as a slug....)? >> >>Thanks. >> >> >>Salman > > > I'm surprised that they ran on SUSE 9.1 at all. The GUI tools don't work > on Mandrake 10.0, I'm still using Mandrake 9.2 on my workstation because > of this. The only GUI tool I ever use is FPGA Editor and that works OK > even though I'm using an old machine, 500MHz PIII with 512M RAM. I do > everything else with CLI and that works fine. The thing that you > absolutely can't do is run the GUI tools remotely, the performance over > an ethernet is horrendous. Everything else I use, Cadence's NC, > Mentor's ModelSim, both work fine on Mandrake 10 and there is no > performance penalty when running them over a network. Hopefully Xilinx > will switch to a decent toolkit in future releases, one that isn't tied to > a particular distribution and that has reasonable performance. >
I also couldn't run ISE 6.2i on Mandrake 10.0 but would be interested in trying under wine. Can some one point me to an install procedure to get in working under wine. Thanks, Tom
Marc Kelly <marc@redbeard.demon.co.uk> wrote:

: Commandline tools fly, we place and route on a duel hyperthreded xeon (4
: logical cpus) and setting 4 designs off in parallel gives impressive
: performace, made the time spent building large Makefiles worth while.

I'd appreciated if you would post a simple command file.

Thanks

--

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

> Marc Kelly <marc@redbeard.demon.co.uk> wrote: > > : Commandline tools fly, we place and route on a duel hyperthreded xeon (4 > : logical cpus) and setting 4 designs off in parallel gives impressive > : performace, made the time spent building large Makefiles worth while. > > I'd appreciated if you would post a simple command file.
Makefiles/Perl/CSH/etc. are great at times for FPGA implementation, especially when you are doing something really unique with the way you are running the tools but if anyone wants to run the Xilinx tools from command-line, the easiest way is using xflow. Xflow is a single command that can run the Xilinx tools from HDL code to bitstream and most everything in between including simulation netlisting. An example command running xflow is the following: xflow -implement high_effort -tsim modelsim_verilog <design>.edf That command will take that EDIF file run it through all the of the implementation tools to take it through place and route with a high effort level, create a static timing report and create a timing simulation model for ModelSim in the Verilog language. Or if you want to run synthesis to bitstream, you could try: xflow -p xc2vp7fg456-6 -synth synplicity_vhdl -implement balanced -config bitgen <design_name>.prj Here it will synthesize a VHDL project through Synplicity targeting a 2VP7, implement the design using medium effort (balancing runtime and CPU effort) and then create a bitstream. The prj file contains all of the VHDL files for synthesis. There are many other ways to run and customize the tools. You can also specify customized options for any part of the flow if the blanket options are not to your liking. I thought I would share this as xflow has been around for a long time now but it seems not many know about it. I use it quite a bit to run the tools, especially when running the tools remotely (i.e. logging onto my Linux machine at work from home and running a quick nohup xflow run). -- Brian