new Lattice FPGAs vs Cyclone and SpartanIII

Started by Paul Sereno July 2, 2004
As far as I could discover, this is still a propriatary device, and
therefore you could not use a standard SPI flash instead.  If no
competition (read pin/pin compatible replacement) is possible, Altera
could keep up the price as high as they want.
With standard SPI flash, I have the choice of at least 5 different
suppliers, no potentialy delivery problems, and guaranteed lowest
price. Thus driving the total solution cost to a minimum.

Luc

Luc Braeckman wrote:
> As far as I could discover, this is still a propriatary device, and > therefore you could not use a standard SPI flash instead. If no > competition (read pin/pin compatible replacement) is possible, Altera > could keep up the price as high as they want. > With standard SPI flash, I have the choice of at least 5 different > suppliers, no potentialy delivery problems, and guaranteed lowest > price. Thus driving the total solution cost to a minimum. > > Luc
Still unverified by me, but someone pointed here some time ago that EPCS devices are indeed a standard device produced by ST (M25Px0). Anyway, if that's true, Altera has a quite expensive paint... :D Ricardo
I suppose you could use an SPI flash in conjuction with a cheap up like a PIC (some of those are less than a dollar,
and they even have one in a SOT23 package) to undercut the cost of the serial config ROMs.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930     Fax 401/884-7950

                                          -Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Just FYI, there is an application note on this very topic that demonstrates
how to configure a Xilinx FPGA from an SPI serial Flash using a small CPLD.
The application note is written for CoolRunner-II, but practically any
Xilinx CPLD will do.

XAPP800:  Configuring Xilinx FPGAs with SPI Flash Memories Using
CoolRunner-II CPLDs
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp800.pdf

While we're on the subject, have you ever wanted to store additional
information in the configuration memory (serial numbers, Ethernet MAC IDs,
MicroBlaze code) and read it after the FPGA configures?  If so, the
following application note may be of interest.

XAPP694: Reading User Data from Configuration PROMs
http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp694.pdf

The two demo designs for the Spartan-3 Starter Kit also demonstrate this
capability.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/spartan3/s3boards.htm#RF

---------------------------------
Steven K. Knapp
Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc.
General Products Division
Spartan-3/II/IIE FPGAs
http://www.xilinx.com/spartan3
---------------------------------
Spartan-3:  Make it Your ASIC

"Ray Andraka" <ray@andraka.com> wrote in message
> I suppose you could use an SPI flash in conjuction with a cheap up like a
PIC (some of those are less than a dollar,
> and they even have one in a SOT23 package) to undercut the cost of the
serial config ROMs.
> > > -- > --Ray Andraka, P.E. > President, the Andraka Consulting Group, Inc. > 401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950 > email ray@andraka.com > http://www.andraka.com > > "They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little > temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." > -Benjamin Franklin, 1759 > >
Of course you can, why not building a complete system just to
configure the FPGA (sic). The idea of a cheap SPI flash directly
connected to the FPGA is very attractive, especially in consumer
application where every cent counts.

Regards,

Luc
___

"Steven K. Knapp" <steve.knappNO#SPAM@xilinx.com> wrote in message news:<cd4j4e$oeu6@cliff.xsj.xilinx.com>...
> Just FYI, there is an application note on this very topic that demonstrates > how to configure a Xilinx FPGA from an SPI serial Flash using a small CPLD. > The application note is written for CoolRunner-II, but practically any > Xilinx CPLD will do. > > XAPP800: Configuring Xilinx FPGAs with SPI Flash Memories Using > CoolRunner-II CPLDs > http://www.xilinx.com/bvdocs/appnotes/xapp800.pdf
Yeah, but this solution still requires another part. Perhaps reasonable if you needed the CPLD for other things, but otherwise it's not a very good solution. Some boards are overstuffed as it is! I remember using a 9536 to interface a parallel EPROM to XC4000-series parts, but that was ages ago, before the G-dsend known as in-system JTAG-programmable parts ... --a