Question about filters and verilog etc..

Started by Jan Panteltje December 12, 2003
I need to make some filters now for some project in FPGA.
I was wondering if some free (open source?) software
exists that outputs verilog (or a xilinx module for example)
with as input say -3dB point, slope, poles, low / high pass etc.?
These programs do exist for analog filters, some from IC
manufacturers.
Is such a thing feasable (to do in verilog) does it exist?
Jan
Hi Jan,

Our company Tyder has a product ONEoverT and it outputs VHDL which you can
use to
design filters on FPGAs....FIRs (Windowed & Optimal) loads of other FIR
types, and also
different types of IIR filters.

It is not free but it is on sale at a very low price. There are some case
studies on the website which
you can download. You can also download the demo version.

See website
www.tyder.com
Regards
Michael Gallen
"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need to make some filters now for some project in FPGA. > I was wondering if some free (open source?) software > exists that outputs verilog (or a xilinx module for example) > with as input say -3dB point, slope, poles, low / high pass etc.? > These programs do exist for analog filters, some from IC > manufacturers. > Is such a thing feasable (to do in verilog) does it exist? > Jan
Just use a filter design tool to generate the coefficients.  The HDL is
pretty simple.  ScopeFIR is one example.

Of course, you can also do a lot of this work using tools like Excel from
fundamental DSP/Filter theory/math.  Excel has a SUMOFPRODUCTS() function
that come in handy for some of this work (like implementing a DFT to
generate filter frequency response and graph it).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Martin Euredjian

To send private email:
0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net
where
"0_0_0_0_"  =  "martineu"

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I need to make some filters now for some project in FPGA. > I was wondering if some free (open source?) software > exists that outputs verilog (or a xilinx module for example) > with as input say -3dB point, slope, poles, low / high pass etc.? > These programs do exist for analog filters, some from IC > manufacturers. > Is such a thing feasable (to do in verilog) does it exist? > Jan
On a sunny day (Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:37:46 GMT) it happened "Martin Euredjian"
<0_0_0_0_@pacbell.net> wrote in
<elzCb.70799$Ns6.25727@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>:

>Just use a filter design tool to generate the coefficients. The HDL is >pretty simple. ScopeFIR is one example. > >Of course, you can also do a lot of this work using tools like Excel from >fundamental DSP/Filter theory/math. Excel has a SUMOFPRODUCTS() function >that come in handy for some of this work (like implementing a DFT to >generate filter frequency response and graph it). > > >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >Martin Euredjian
Hi, I downloaded ScopeFIR, and guess what, it runs fine on wine too, in Linux. So thank you. Then I played a bit with it, now I may perhaps input those coefficients to the FIR I found on opencores. But playing with ScopeFIR I got that 'deja-vue' feeling.... Some time ago I did some FIR in C for a horizontal re-scaler (see paper at http://www.home.zonnet.nl/panteltje/subtitles/lowpass.html ). Think I did not use that FIR in the end, that project was abandoned when I started using DVD. But in that time I did a whole lot of reading up on digital signal processing and IIR FIR etc.. Now then I used a program in Linux called 'remez' to calculate coefficients. I think ScopeFIR is either from the same author or a blunt copy (windows port) of remez, I dunno. But even the examples and the frequency choice is the same...... So I looked up remez on my machine (google for /root/compile/filters/remez/REMEZ16.EXE if you use windows), I do not remember where I found remez, google remez or remez.c remez uses gnu-plot..... hehe Since ScopeFIR asks 100$ after 60 days, I will be using remez likely after that time. Jan