What does nios-run do?

Started by cruzin January 15, 2004
Hello,

I can download a program to memory using "nios-run my_prog.srec" and
it works fine.

However, when I write the program into the same memory manually (ie.
memory fill command), nios will not wrong the program properly.

I verified that both methods write exactly the same program bytes into
memory, but nios-run does something with the memory AFTER the program
end. This must be the source of my problems. Why are bytes changed
after the end of the program?

I verified every byte up until the last byte written as defined by the
S-Record.

Any ideas on what steps nios-run goes through?

Help is greatly appreciated.
What are you talking about?

cruiser144@hotmail.com (cruzin) writes:

> I can download a program to memory using "nios-run my_prog.srec" and > it works fine. > > However, when I write the program into the same memory manually (ie. > memory fill command), nios will not wrong the program properly.
Maybe a stupid question: How do you run your manually entered program? Are you using the go (G) command in germs? Can you use go to *re-run* the downloaded srec file? Petter -- A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Hi Petter,

I wrote a program to convert an Srec file to a binary file and then
downloaded this over a PCI/Avalon bridge.

I have found my problem, which was that I assumed the Srec file was
always writing a contiguous memory region, when in fact sometimes
addresses are skipped, presumably for alignment optimization.

> Hi Petter, > > I wrote a program to convert an Srec file to a binary file and then > downloaded this over a PCI/Avalon bridge. > > I have found my problem, which was that I assumed the Srec file was > always writing a contiguous memory region, when in fact sometimes > addresses are skipped, presumably for alignment optimization.
If you have a look at the srec spec, I'm fairly sure the first data after the 's' on every line is the address that line starts at. Nial ------------------------------------------------ Nial Stewart Developments Ltd FPGA and High Speed Digital Design Cyclone based 'Easy PCI' dev board www.nialstewartdevelopments.co.uk
Hi Nial,

Yes you are correct.

When I wrote my Srec-converter program, I looked at a nios-built Srec
file, and all records were contiguous. Later on, I realized in some
programs, nios-build will skip bytes here and there. Live and learn.