JTAG ID code 0xFFFFFFFF

Started by BERT April 13, 2007
Hi,

I need some help with my Altera Dev Kit (STRATIX DSP S80 Development
Board Rev 1.2).  I no longer seem to be able to program my device. It
was working properly until I started getting the following error:

"Error: Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x20070DD for
device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0xFFFFFFFF."

Also, when I use the "Auto Detect" feature of Quartus II Programmer,
I get
"EPS180/_HARDCOPY_FPGA_PROTOTYPE" instead of the actual device name
EP1S80B9C656.

Does this mean that my development kit is toast, or am I missing
something here ? Has anyone seen such an error before ?I would greatly
appreciate any help !!

I am using Altera ByteBlaster II programming cable. Replacing the
cable with a new one doesn't help either.

Thanks,
Vijay.

you can get that if there's something stuck at one.
Check the cables!
Ben
"BERT" <callmevc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi, > > I need some help with my Altera Dev Kit (STRATIX DSP S80 Development > Board Rev 1.2). I no longer seem to be able to program my device. It > was working properly until I started getting the following error: > > "Error: Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x20070DD for > device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0xFFFFFFFF." > > Also, when I use the "Auto Detect" feature of Quartus II Programmer, > I get > "EPS180/_HARDCOPY_FPGA_PROTOTYPE" instead of the actual device name > EP1S80B9C656. > > Does this mean that my development kit is toast, or am I missing > something here ? Has anyone seen such an error before ?I would greatly > appreciate any help !! > > I am using Altera ByteBlaster II programming cable. Replacing the > cable with a new one doesn't help either. > > Thanks, > Vijay. >
On Apr 13, 10:46 am, "Benjamin Todd"
<benjamin.toddREMOVEALLCAPIT...@cernREMOVEALLCAPITALS.ch> wrote:
> you can get that if there's something stuck at one. > Check the cables! > Ben"BERT" <callm...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:1176475217.521694.315060@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > > > Hi, > > > I need some help with my Altera Dev Kit (STRATIX DSP S80 Development > > Board Rev 1.2). I no longer seem to be able to program my device. It > > was working properly until I started getting the following error: > > > "Error: Can't configure device. Expected JTAG ID code 0x20070DD for > > device 1, but found JTAG ID code 0xFFFFFFFF." > > > Also, when I use the "Auto Detect" feature of Quartus II Programmer, > > I get > > "EPS180/_HARDCOPY_FPGA_PROTOTYPE" instead of the actual device name > > EP1S80B9C656. > > > Does this mean that my development kit is toast, or am I missing > > something here ? Has anyone seen such an error before ?I would greatly > > appreciate any help !! > > > I am using Altera ByteBlaster II programming cable. Replacing the > > cable with a new one doesn't help either. > > > Thanks, > > Vijay.
Thanks for your help ! I moved to a different computer and now I am able to program the device, and everything works properly. Very strange ... My previous computer was a 10-15 year old laptop, and the parallel-port is probably not working properly.
Ah! I'm pleased you got it sorted.

A colleague of mine had a very similar issue due to the voltage levels of
parallel ports being different from one machine to another.. 3.3 versus 5.0
or so - it was going to be my next suggestion to try a different computer.