[Altera/Quartus] Tools to regenerate block schematics from .vhd files

Started by Unknown February 9, 2004
I am kind of new to FPGA design and I have to understand a circuit given
as a set of hierarchical .vhd files (top level and two-three lower levels),
but it would be kind of nice to see it layed out on a piece of paper...
Is there a tool to generate schematics from vhd files to visualize vhd?
Pszemol wrote:

> I am kind of new to FPGA design and I have to understand a circuit given > as a set of hierarchical .vhd files (top level and two-three lower levels), > but it would be kind of nice to see it layed out on a piece of paper... > Is there a tool to generate schematics from vhd files to visualize vhd?
As I understood it, the schematic approach and the VHDL approach are not necessarily equivalent. Meaning not every line of code can be shown as schematic. Eg statemachines are supposed not to be displayable in schematics. Rene -- Ing.Buero R.Tschaggelar - http://www.ibrtses.com & commercial newsgroups - http://www.talkto.net
Hi Pszemol,
You have the RTL view in Quartus that will short of do this for you.
RTL means that you will see it at a very basic level, flip-flops,
Luts,muxs and soforth. Alltough the RTL viewer build up a hirachy from
your VHDL files so you are going to see the top enties in the first
view anyhow. I think also some 3:party tools have this
features.(simplify?) This is a new feature as of Quartus2_ver4 so it
might not be avalible in the free version of the tool.
Cheers
Fredrik
"Fredrik" <fredrik_he_lang@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:77a94d51.0402100656.26670ade@posting.google.com...
> You have the RTL view in Quartus that will short of do this for you. > RTL means that you will see it at a very basic level, flip-flops, > Luts,muxs and soforth. Alltough the RTL viewer build up a hirachy from > your VHDL files so you are going to see the top enties in the first > view anyhow.
This is the only thing I want right now.
>I think also some 3:party tools have this features.(simplify?) > This is a new feature as of Quartus2_ver4 so it > might not be avalible in the free version of the tool.
I have version 3, so I guess I need to request an upgrade. Thanks.
RTL viewer is available with the full version of the Quartus II version 4.0 software. For details on RTL viewer, check the Quartus II Handbook chapter http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii51013.pdf Regards, Seshan Altera Corp.