Problem with Modelsim Lisence server...

Started by Debashish August 14, 2003
Hi guys,
Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2
lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont
close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command
quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of
the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server
we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill
those process and regain the 2 lisences.

 Is there any way or any script that can help me to do this without
restarting the lisence server. I know its easier to handle in Linux or
Unix severs, by just killing the process. But how will i do the same
without restarting the windows 2000 server. Is there any java or any
other script for that.

Regards..
Debashish Hota
Debashish wrote:

> Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2 > lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont > close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command > quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of > the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server > we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill > those process and regain the 2 lisences.
1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses, and train them to close the gui. 2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c. vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole session, even if you are just editing and compiling. Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license during a sim and then relinquishes it. -- Mike Treseler
Mike Treseler <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com> wrote in message news:<3F3D0668.3080103@flukenetworks.com>...
> Debashish wrote: > > > Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2 > > lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont > > close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command > > quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of > > the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server > > we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill > > those process and regain the 2 lisences. > > 1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses, > and train them to close the gui. > > 2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c. > vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up > the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole > session, even if you are just editing and compiling. > > Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license > during a sim and then relinquishes it. > > > -- Mike Treseler
Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove
deb_astro@yahoo.co.in (Debashish) wrote in message news:<fe977b7a.0308172249.673167c6@posting.google.com>...
> Mike Treseler <mike.treseler@flukenetworks.com> wrote in message news:<3F3D0668.3080103@flukenetworks.com>... > > Debashish wrote: > > > > > Here i have a problem with my Modelsim lisence server.I have 2 > > > lisences for modelsim in my office. But many a times if someone dont > > > close the modelsim properly or dont release the lisence (by command > > > quit -sim), lisence stays active even if he is not working.So most of > > > the time i am not able to use 2 linces. So being a Windows 2000 server > > > we had to restart it again and agian atleast once everyday, two kill > > > those process and regain the 2 lisences. > > > > 1. Learn the lmstat command to find out who is holding licenses, > > and train them to close the gui. > > > > 2. Learn to use command line execution: vcom -c and vsim -c. > > vcom (command line) does not require a license. Bringing up > > the gui with vsim.exe holds a licenses for the whole > > session, even if you are just editing and compiling. > > > > Running a text testbench with vsim -c only holds the license > > during a sim and then relinquishes it. > > > > > > -- Mike Treseler > > > Thank you Mike i have downloaded the FLEXLM enduser guide.This solved > all my problems.I am using lmstat -a and lmremove
Hi, Use "lmremove" command with the license admin privileges. To recognize that the process is dead, there are unix ways and I am not aware of windows ways. I suggest wrap your modelsim command with a shell script that takes care of these issues. Regards, - Prasanna