Need help with the I/O Standard

Started by kashif December 22, 2008
HI
I have a PCB which has a TI IC for the PHY layer controller and I want to
connect the PCB with the Virtex II xc2v8000 FPGA. But I need information
about the I/O Standard of the Virtex II. The output ports on the PCB are
Bidirectional and they accept 4.4 volts I/O Standard but I checked the
datasheet of the virtex II Chip and I found that the maximum volts for the
output and input are 3.3 Volts for the FPGA pins.

Can any one help me with this problem.
I want to know if i connect the PCB board with the FPGA pins, will the PCB
burn the I/O pins of the FPGA.

kashif <comzian@hotmail.com> wrote:
>HI >I have a PCB which has a TI IC for the PHY layer controller and I want to >connect the PCB with the Virtex II xc2v8000 FPGA. But I need information >about the I/O Standard of the Virtex II. The output ports on the PCB are >Bidirectional and they accept 4.4 volts I/O Standard but I checked the >datasheet of the virtex II Chip and I found that the maximum volts for the >output and input are 3.3 Volts for the FPGA pins.
>Can any one help me with this problem. >I want to know if i connect the PCB board with the FPGA pins, will the PCB >burn the I/O pins of the FPGA.
You can connect LVTTL output to TTL input. And TTL output to LVTTL input with a current limiting resistor in series, protection diode max current dependent. In the case of bidirectional communication use the last method. However pay attention to the rise times. In general just have a look at the voltage levels. Max currents etc.