auto reset / rs 232

Started by fbob February 2, 2009
Hi everyone,

I have 2 unrelated questions:

1) I have a Xilinx ML505 board and I am looking for a way to make my
SRAM power cycle automatically. Ideally I would like the SRAM to power
off, then power on again after 30 seconds or more. Is there any way to
have either the SRAM individually, or the board as a whole, do this?

2) The ML505 schematics say the RS 232 port is DTE, while the User
Guide says it is DCE. Can anyone confirm which is correct? Do I need a
null-modem cable or a straight-through cable to connect to a PC?

Thank you,

Robyn Colopy
On Feb 2, 2:22=A0pm, fbob <fantasma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone, > > I have 2 unrelated questions: > > 1) I have a Xilinx ML505 board and I am looking for a way to make my > SRAM power cycle automatically. Ideally I would like the SRAM to power > off, then power on again after 30 seconds or more. Is there any way to > have either the SRAM individually, or the board as a whole, do this? > > 2) The ML505 schematics say the RS 232 port is DTE, while the User > Guide says it is DCE. Can anyone confirm which is correct? Do I need a > null-modem cable or a straight-through cable to connect to a PC?
If you have the schematics, you can find out if the driver is on pin 2 or pin 3 of the DB-9 connector telling you how to wire the cable. I'm not familiar with this board. Does it have jumpers to allow pin 2 and 3 to be swapped? Rick
On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 12:25:34 -0800 (PST), rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Feb 2, 2:22&#4294967295;pm, fbob <fantasma...@gmail.com> wrote: >> Hi everyone, >> >> I have 2 unrelated questions:
>> 2) The ML505 schematics say the RS 232 port is DTE, while the User >> Guide says it is DCE. Can anyone confirm which is correct? Do I need a >> null-modem cable or a straight-through cable to connect to a PC? > >If you have the schematics, you can find out if the driver is on pin 2 >or pin 3 of the DB-9 connector telling you how to wire the cable. > >I'm not familiar with this board. Does it have jumpers to allow pin 2 >and 3 to be swapped?
I don't believe it does, and DTE vs DCE is one of those naming conventions that is pretty much lost in the mists of time, asong with 25-pin RS232 connectors. But you do need a null-modem cable to connect to a PC's serial port. - Brian