PCI Parallel port detection in XILINX

Started by Aditi November 5, 2010
Hi,

I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to run
XILINX and let it detect the card
so that I can use a XILINX Parallel Cable IV to work with it.
XILINX detects the card but gives an error message saying
"ECP port test failed." and does not work.

How do I get the PCI parallel card to work with XILINX?

Is there a particular PCI card which someone has worked with and knows
for sure will work with XILINX?

Can somebody please help me with this?

Note: I am using a PCI card from Chronos MP9715P-2 which has the
NetMos 9715 chipset.
         I also tried it with another card from Syba (SD-PEX-1005),
which has the MosChip 9901 chipset.

Thanks,
Regards,
Aditi.
On 11/05/2010 12:18 PM, Aditi wrote:

> > Note: I am using a PCI card from Chronos MP9715P-2 which has the > NetMos 9715 chipset.
Ugh! I can't say specifically for Xilinx, but I know the Netmos 9705 had a severely buggy implementation of the EPP standard, and the handshaking would never work. I don't know about the 9715, but hear rumor that it isn't any better. I have used SIIG cards, and they do work. They require a Windows 95 program to set the default port mode, however, which is awfully obsolete. I can't believe they haven't updated this. Jon
On Nov 5, 10:18=A0am, Aditi <aditi.gro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, > > I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to run > XILINX and let it detect the card > so that I can use a XILINX Parallel Cable IV to work with it. > XILINX detects the card but gives an error message saying > "ECP port test failed." and does not work. > > How do I get the PCI parallel card to work with XILINX? > > Thanks, > Regards, > Aditi.
The original poster sould check in the BIOS -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
Aditi wrote:
> Hi, > > I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to run > XILINX and let it detect the card > so that I can use a XILINX Parallel Cable IV to work with it. > XILINX detects the card but gives an error message saying > "ECP port test failed." and does not work. > > How do I get the PCI parallel card to work with XILINX? > > Is there a particular PCI card which someone has worked with and knows > for sure will work with XILINX? > > Can somebody please help me with this? > > Note: I am using a PCI card from Chronos MP9715P-2 which has the > NetMos 9715 chipset. > I also tried it with another card from Syba (SD-PEX-1005), > which has the MosChip 9901 chipset.
Save yourself the trouble and get a Xilinx USB Cable. I wasted many hours with that crappy Parallel Cable. Even if you finally do get it to work at all with a NetMos Plugin-Card, it only works in the slowest config mode, and then FPGA loading takes forever. The USB cable is expensive but it will save you so much trouble and work in the long run. cu, Sean -- Replace "MONTH" with the three-letter abbreviation of the current month and the two-digit code for the current year (simple, eh?).
On Nov 6, 4:03=A0am, Sean Durkin <news_MO...@tuxroot.de> wrote:
> Aditi wrote: > > Hi, > > > I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to run > > XILINX and let it detect the card > > so that I can use a XILINX Parallel Cable IV to work with it. > > XILINX detects the card but gives an error message saying > > "ECP port test failed." and does not work. > > > How do I get the PCI parallel card to work with XILINX? > > > Is there a particular PCI card which someone has worked with and knows > > for sure will work with XILINX? > > > Can somebody please help me with this? > > > Note: I am using a PCI card from Chronos MP9715P-2 which has the > > NetMos 9715 chipset. > > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0I also tried it with another card from Syba (SD-PEX-=
1005),
> > which has the MosChip 9901 chipset. >
Hi All, Thanks for your suggestions. Even with that ECP port failed message, I could get the PROM to be programmed. Will surely go with the USB cable in future. But as of now, we are not thinking of going for USB atleast this year. Another quick question, Is there a way to tell iMPACT not to run the ECP test? Thanks, Regards, Aditi.
Uwe Bonnes <bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in news:ib254t$hvq
$1@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de:

> d_s_klein <d_s_klein@yahoo.com> wrote: >> On Nov 5, 10:18&#4294967295;am, Aditi <aditi.gro...@gmail.com> wrote: >> > Hi, >> > >> > I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to run >> > XILINX and let it detect the card >> > so that I can use a XILINX Parallel Cable IV to work with it. >> > XILINX detects the card but gives an error message saying >> > "ECP port test failed." and does not work. >> > >> > How do I get the PCI parallel card to work with XILINX? >> > >> > Thanks, >> > Regards, >> > Aditi. > >> "ECP port test failed." usually means that the port is not in ECP >> mode. > > The original poster sould check in the BIOS
It's an add-in card. I don't think that the PC BIOS is going to help.
On Nov 8, 7:19=A0pm, Ian Shef <inva...@avoiding.spam> wrote:
> Uwe Bonnes <b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote in news:ib254=
t$hvq
> $...@lnx107.hrz.tu-darmstadt.de: > > > > > > > > > > > d_s_klein <d_s_kl...@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> On Nov 5, 10:18=A0am, Aditi <aditi.gro...@gmail.com> wrote: > >> > Hi, > > >> > I have installed a PCI parallel port card on my PC. And I want to ru=
Your quite right. An add in card, plugged into a PCI slot, does not become a true (legacy) Parallel port. Xilinx can cope with this with the right driver. Altera however insists on a "proper" parallel port at the correct place in IO space (ie not address space) which plug and play cannot give you.