Spartan3 device with long availability

Started by Thomas Heller November 20, 2010
We are looking at QFP package. And lead time is _constant_ 6 weeks in the future ... -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
On Nov 22, 6:39=A0pm, Uwe Bonnes <b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-
darmstadt.de> wrote:
> John Adair <g...@enterpoint.co.uk> wrote: > > Uwe > > Spartan-6 availability is improving very rapidly and in many cases is > > now on shorter lead time than Spartan-3 parts. We have a considerable > > amount here now of the parts we use most awaiting some time on our > > line to build more development boards. 4-6 weeks is usually the > > standard lead time value, usually quoted in better times, on Spartan > > families if you buy them in any numbers. > > We are looking at QFP package. And lead time is _constant_ 6 weeks in the > future ... > > -- > Uwe Bonnes =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0b...@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-dar=
mstadt.de
> > Institut fuer Kernphysik =A0Schlossgartenstrasse 9 =A064289 Darmstadt > --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
Ah, yes... Alice through the looking-glass! You can have jam "every other day" (which means never today).
FPGA's I would prototype on an eval board. I don't use these myself, but look at http://www.emulation.com/ They may have some sockets that could just squeeze in.
Morten Leikvoll <mleikvol@yahoo.nospam> wrote:
> "Thomas Heller" <theller@ctypes.org> wrote in message > news:8ks9nqF329U1@mid.individual.net... > > How are you doing prototyping with BGA packages?
> FPGA's I would prototype on an eval board. > I don't use these myself, but look at http://www.emulation.com/ > They may have some sockets that could just squeeze in.
Normally you prototype some circuit, where the FPGA is only soure and sink of data, with many connectins to the fpga. Using some FPGA prototype board means designing two time, first with the prototype board, then with the fpga on board... -- Uwe Bonnes bon@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
On 11/20/2010 10:27, Thomas Heller wrote:
> Which series / package should I choose for long availability?
What's long in your terms? I'm in the measurement equipment industry, our oldest products have been on the market for fifteen years and they contain Xilinx FPGAs that have been introduced about seventeen years ago, which have been discontinued lately. Usually, we aim for parts which are targeted at the automotive industry since they have the tendency to have a longer lifetime. - Philip -- Some of the best things in life are total mistakes. (Rachel Porter)
Am 25.11.2010 10:11, schrieb Philip Herzog:
> On 11/20/2010 10:27, Thomas Heller wrote: >> Which series / package should I choose for long availability? > > What's long in your terms? > > I'm in the measurement equipment industry, our oldest products have been > on the market for fifteen years and they contain Xilinx FPGAs that have > been introduced about seventeen years ago, which have been discontinued > lately.
We are in a very similar situation; our product lifetime is also around 10 years. We have boards still in production based on parts like 4006 (no longer available but we have some stock although they were very expensive), XCS05, XC3S200. Plus XC9572/XC9572XL cplds.
> Usually, we aim for parts which are targeted at the automotive industry > since they have the tendency to have a longer lifetime.
Thanks for this tip. Thomas
Am 24.11.2010 11:48, schrieb Morten Leikvoll:
> "Thomas Heller"<theller@ctypes.org> wrote in message > news:8ks9nqF329U1@mid.individual.net... >> How are you doing prototyping with BGA packages? > > FPGA's I would prototype on an eval board. > I don't use these myself, but look at http://www.emulation.com/ > They may have some sockets that could just squeeze in. > >
Looks interesting, but expensive ;-).