Viewing internal nets during Quartus functional simulation

Started by Dalton Marris August 18, 2004
I am trying to perform a functional simulation of a circuit
which contains a multiplier (LPM_MULT) feeding into a ram
cell (VHDL code).  Using the Node Finder, I have added the
output of the multiplier "mult:inst|result" to my .vwf file,
but I get the following warning message when I simulate:

Warning: Can't find node mult:inst|result[0] for functional
simulation. Ignored vector source file node.

I have read the question posed by Christos (10/9/2003), and
responded to by Subroto Datta (10/9/2003).

Since I am performing a functional simulation, and the Node
Finder can find the node of interest:

(1) Should the LCELL still be necessary?

(2) Why can't the node be found, is it stripped out when I
run the "Generate Functional Simulation Netlist" tool?

Regards,
Dalton
Well, I'm learning more as I go...  It seems that you have to
compile the design before you can use the Node Finder.  So I
added an LCELL between the multiplier and the ram, and named
it mult_out.  I can then add mult_out to my .vwf file and it
appears as it should in the output vectors, with the correct
waveforms.

Now if I can get the LCELL automagically stripped out when I
create the actual device...

Dalton Marris wrote:

> I am trying to perform a functional simulation of a circuit > which contains a multiplier (LPM_MULT) feeding into a ram > cell (VHDL code). Using the Node Finder, I have added the > output of the multiplier "mult:inst|result" to my .vwf file, > but I get the following warning message when I simulate: > > Warning: Can't find node mult:inst|result[0] for functional > simulation. Ignored vector source file node. > > I have read the question posed by Christos (10/9/2003), and > responded to by Subroto Datta (10/9/2003). > > Since I am performing a functional simulation, and the Node > Finder can find the node of interest: > > (1) Should the LCELL still be necessary? > > (2) Why can't the node be found, is it stripped out when I > run the "Generate Functional Simulation Netlist" tool? > > Regards, > Dalton
Hi,

"Dalton Marris" <dmarris@charter.net> wrote in message
> Well, I'm learning more as I go... It seems that you have to > compile the design before you can use the Node Finder. So I > added an LCELL between the multiplier and the ram, and named > it mult_out. I can then add mult_out to my .vwf file and it > appears as it should in the output vectors, with the correct > waveforms. > > Now if I can get the LCELL automagically stripped out when I > create the actual device...
In my Quartus II ver. 4.0 Settings > Analysis & Synthesis > More Analysis & Synthesis Settings > Ignore LCELL Buffers set this to On (Default is off) and recompile.. If i remember correctly you will get a warning message that it synthesised them away..
> > Dalton Marris wrote: > > > I am trying to perform a functional simulation of a circuit > > which contains a multiplier (LPM_MULT) feeding into a ram > > cell (VHDL code). Using the Node Finder, I have added the > > output of the multiplier "mult:inst|result" to my .vwf file, > > but I get the following warning message when I simulate: > > > > Warning: Can't find node mult:inst|result[0] for functional > > simulation. Ignored vector source file node. > > > > I have read the question posed by Christos (10/9/2003), and > > responded to by Subroto Datta (10/9/2003). > > > > Since I am performing a functional simulation, and the Node > > Finder can find the node of interest: > > > > (1) Should the LCELL still be necessary? > > > > (2) Why can't the node be found, is it stripped out when I > > run the "Generate Functional Simulation Netlist" tool? > > > > Regards, > > Dalton
Good luck, Christos ** christos zamantzas at cern dot ch **
Christos wrote:
> Hi, > > "Dalton Marris" <dmarris@charter.net> wrote in message > news:10i7eeieh5tg452@corp.supernews.com... > >>Well, I'm learning more as I go... It seems that you have to >>compile the design before you can use the Node Finder. So I >>added an LCELL between the multiplier and the ram, and named >>it mult_out. I can then add mult_out to my .vwf file and it >>appears as it should in the output vectors, with the correct >>waveforms. >> >>Now if I can get the LCELL automagically stripped out when I >>create the actual device... > > > In my Quartus II ver. 4.0 > > Settings > Analysis & Synthesis > More Analysis & Synthesis Settings > > Ignore LCELL Buffers > set this to On (Default is off) and recompile.. > If i remember correctly you will get a warning message that it synthesised > them away.. >
Very good, found it in Quartus II ver. 4.1: Assignments > Settings > Analysis & Synthesis Settings > More Settings > Ignore LCELL Buffers ("More Settings" is a button which opens the "More Analysis & Synthesis Settings" form.) Now for some more reading and testing... Thanks!