XST Question

Started by Naimesh November 7, 2004
How do I buffer a signal in XST as I feel it is getting overloaded.
if I write
Signal1 <= Signal;
XST automatically optimizes it.

Please help.
Naimesh

"Naimesh" <naimesh.thakkar@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I buffer a signal in XST as I feel it is getting overloaded. > if I write > Signal1 <= Signal; > XST automatically optimizes it.
if the signal is a clock signal you can instantiate a BUFG or multiple BUFGs to optain load manual load balancing Antti
"Naimesh" <naimesh.thakkar@gmail.com> writes:
>How do I buffer a signal in XST as I feel it is getting overloaded. >if I write >Signal1 <= Signal; >XST automatically optimizes it.
You can add "-max_fanout 50" (or whatever fanout you want) to the .xst-configfile or edit the appropriate GUI-form.... That setting is global, but it should be possible to pass it as an signal attribute. -- Georg Acher, acher@in.tum.de http://wwwbode.in.tum.de/~acher "Oh no, not again !" The bowl of petunias
On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 12:02:41 +0000, Georg Acher wrote:

> "Naimesh" <naimesh.thakkar@gmail.com> writes: >>How do I buffer a signal in XST as I feel it is getting overloaded. >>if I write >>Signal1 <= Signal; >>XST automatically optimizes it. > > You can add "-max_fanout 50" (or whatever fanout you want) to the .xst-configfile > or edit the appropriate GUI-form.... That setting is global, but it should be > possible to pass it as an signal attribute.
Look at the constraints guide, you can set max fanout for a specific signal or you can do it globally.
We are using a 20 input (each 8 bit wide) coregen instantiated MUX operating at 160 MHz on a Vitex-E device. When placed and routed in ISE6.2i, we get that the timing-error that the mux select lines are having fanout problem. We tried duplicating the net source, but still the problem persists. Any Help please.