Free tools

Started by Roger December 31, 2004
It's a while since I looked at free tools but when I did, Altera's Web
version of Quartus was a great deal. I've checked back and it appears that
the Web version is time limited now, is this correct?

If so, does anyone know of any free tools from the main FPGA manufacturers?

TIA.

Rog.

The Quartus Web Edition is a free tool even today. The time limited license
can be regenerated at any time by the user for another 6 month period. The
reason the Web Edition license is kept time limited is that it allows Altera
to know who is actively using their product. The Quartus tools both Web
Edition and Full Subscription products from version 4.0 onwards take the
user to the Altera license generation website to get a new license, when the
existing license expires.

Hope this helps.
- Subroto Datta
Altera Corp.

"Roger" <rogerwilson@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's a while since I looked at free tools but when I did, Altera's Web > version of Quartus was a great deal. I've checked back and it appears that > the Web version is time limited now, is this correct? > > If so, does anyone know of any free tools from the main FPGA > manufacturers? > > TIA. > > Rog. > >
Thanks, great news. I'm an occasional user of programmable logic but prefer
to use Altera when I can so free tools are a big factor for me.

Roger
(RW Concepts)