NIOS II power-on reset

Started by Alessandro Strazzero March 22, 2005
Dear everybody,

I have a problem on some production boards based on the Altera Cyclone FPGA.
The boards have installed NIOS II CPU. The problem regards the power-on
sequence because some boards are not able to power-up correctly (seems NIOS II
CPU doesn't execute first operative code).

The development was made on a C7 speed grade FPGA and I didn't experience such
problem. The boards where the problems were detected have installed the C8
speed grade Cyclone.

The power-on and reset circuitry comes from Altera's Cyclone development board.
I think the problem is around the FPGA speed grade, but I was not able to find
the reason. My system works at 64 MHz which is a well supported frequency by
the C8 speed grade device.

Did you experience my same problem ? Any tips to workaround the problem will
be appreciated

Best Regards

/Alessandro
Hi,

Maybe a excessive power-on current?

Dan.

Checkout the voltage waveform as power is applied.
You may find that a current surge (in the fpga) that takes place as the
voltage ramps up makes this non-monotonic.
This may upset various components on the board, if not the fpga itself.

Regards

Jon