Porting Actel code

Started by Baxter August 2, 2005
I inherited some code for the Actel fpga.  The author said he downloaded the
demo toolset (early version) from Actel and then reset his PC clock until he
was able to finish.  My understanding is that the toolchain has changed
substantially since he wrote the code.

I need two things:
 1 - to be able to read the code/project and determine what it does
 2 - to be able to revise/maintain the code.

I would like recommendations as to what toolchain to port this code to.
Money is an issue - ROI is quite low.

--
DataGet & PocketLog  www.dataget.com
Data Collectors             www.baxcode.com

Baxter wrote:
> I inherited some code for the Actel fpga. > I need two things: > 1 - to be able to read the code/project and determine what it does > 2 - to be able to revise/maintain the code. > > I would like recommendations as to what toolchain to port this code to. > Money is an issue - ROI is quite low.
If the code is a netlist and you don't know what it does, I see little value in maintaining it. If it is generic RTL code with a testbench, you can make modifications and test them, and port to any fpga you like. -- Mike Treseler
I'm new to this kind of programming - I don't know what "netlist" or "RTL"
are.

I have a general idea what the code does, I need to find out the
nitty-gritty details.   As it stands now, I have a binary file I can use to
burn chips, but no ability to maintain or extend the code.  I'd like to port
the design to a slightly different platform -- I'd still be using the same
chip, but likely the chip software would have to change slightly.

It's got lots of different files, including some .vhd.  I was hoping to find
someone with lots of Actel experience.

--

"Baxter" <lbax02.spamguard@baxcode.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm new to this kind of programming - I don't know what "netlist" or "RTL" > are. > > I have a general idea what the code does, I need to find out the > nitty-gritty details. As it stands now, I have a binary file I can use
> burn chips, but no ability to maintain or extend the code. I'd like to
port
> the design to a slightly different platform -- I'd still be using the same > chip, but likely the chip software would have to change slightly. > > It's got lots of different files, including some .vhd. I was hoping to
find
> someone with lots of Actel experience. > > -- > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > DataGet & PocketLog www.dataget.com > Data Collectors www.baxcode.com > -------------------------------------------------------------------- >
well the .VHD are source files, if all the project is on .VHD files then you have no problems. if part of the design is not, eg is in compiled files or in schematic files not readable by available tools then you have more problems. Antti
HI,

based on your other answer I understand you have a .adb file.
This is the actel database which should be useable in the newer
versions of actel designer software (When having a very old version you
might lost your pinout).
I hope you didn't mean a .afm file which is only the programming file
for the Fpga and will be (nearly [1]) complete useless.

The designer software is available as silver edition for free. This
edition is OK for smaller devices.
The database contains the netlist which can be exported. But without
having any knowledge of rtl and netlist you out yourself as someone who
should not even think to modify the netlist to get the desired results.

Start searching .vhd or .v files containing the rtl code (register
transfer level).
The IMHO better way for you would be starting to learn how to design
digital cirquits and rebuild the design from scratch.

bye Thomas

[1] Buying a good support from Actel could help getting some logic out
of the bitstream.
Actel might have the possibility to get a netlist out of this bitsream.

<usenet_10@stanka-web.de> wrote in message
> HI, > > based on your other answer I understand you have a .adb file.
I do have a .adb file - along with a host of others. I've got subdirectories labeled "design_definition", "simulator_build", etc.
> This is the actel database which should be useable in the newer > versions of actel designer software (When having a very old version you > might lost your pinout). > I hope you didn't mean a .afm file which is only the programming file > for the Fpga and will be (nearly [1]) complete useless.
I do have a .afm file which I sent off to the Actel distributor when I ordered more chips.
> > The designer software is available as silver edition for free. This > edition is OK for smaller devices.
Well, how small? I'm using the eX64 (64 dedicated flip-flops, 3000 system gates)
> The database contains the netlist which can be exported. But without > having any knowledge of rtl and netlist you out yourself as someone who > should not even think to modify the netlist to get the desired results.
No "outing" about it - I'm a raw beginner at embedded programming. I'm trying to make sense of what I've got and to determine what I need to do. Among other things, I'm trying to determine if I should continue with this basic design or to switch to an entirely different chip. (a business decision based on technical aspects.)
> > Start searching .vhd or .v files containing the rtl code (register > transfer level). > The IMHO better way for you would be starting to learn how to design > digital cirquits and rebuild the design from scratch.
I've got the book "VDHL Programming by example". I don't know if any of the book's tools would be useable.
> > bye Thomas > > [1] Buying a good support from Actel
As I indicated, the ROI is VERY bad at this point.
Baxter wrote:

>>The designer software is available as silver edition for free. This >>edition is OK for smaller devices. > > Well, how small? I'm using the eX64 (64 dedicated flip-flops, 3000 system > gates)
You can't get much smaller than that.
> No "outing" about it - I'm a raw beginner at embedded programming.
Make that, a raw beginner at digital hardware design.
> I've got the book "VDHL Programming by example". I don't know if any of the > book's tools would be useable.
I've yet to find a CD attached to a book that is worth trouble to unwrap.
>>[1] Buying a good support from Actel > As I indicated, the ROI is VERY bad at this point.
Most vendors have "web" editions of their software that you can download for free. -- Mike Treseler
>> The designer software is available as silver edition for free. This >> edition is OK for smaller devices.
>Well, how small? I'm using the eX64 (64 dedicated flip-flops, 3000 system >gates)
Well it is now the Gold edition of Libero/Designer that is free, and that will cope with all devices upto 300,000 gates, and a couple of the larger APA3 devices. So it would be worth downloading and trying to import your design. If your design is purely VHDL then it is fairly easy just to import the .vhd files and go from there. If there are any ACTGen macros, these are .gen files, then you can also import those and then generate the .vhd files for them, or find out what there are and create your own VHDL files. If there are any ViewDraw schematics in the design, these are .1 files, then it is a little complicated, but can be done.