Newbie to FPGA

Started by anand June 18, 2006
Providing your depth of vectors isn't too large you could do it this way.
The standard PicoBlaze has a limited code space and you may need to look at
extending it's capabilities by adding on some bits, maybe just a store
blockram, if you need a larger depth of vectors. Personally I would be
tempted just to use a preloaded blockram with a counter set to wrap around
at an appropriate value but that method assumes you have the necessary
vectors to start with.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development
Board.
http://www.enterpoint.co.uk

"anand" <writeanand@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How about a freely available PicoBlaze microcontroller? I assume you > can probably write assembly code for the PicoBlaze and that in turn > drives the stimulus to the chip. > > As for the collection/monitoring of outputs, I believe the Picoblaze > can read from the FPGA output pins and either do print statements or > populate its own registers for offline reading. > > > Would this work? > > > > John Adair wrote: >> One of the things you can do is to build a stimulus mechanism into your >> design for both early testing both for simulation and for running in the >> real chip. Just remember to write it to be synthesisable not testbench >> style. Once you are confident it is probably working introduce your real >> source and sort out any issues caused by it being different to your >> internal >> stimulus mechanism. For instance dealing with real setup and hold on >> input >> signals. >> >> John Adair >> Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Raggedstone1. The Low Cost Spartan-3 >> Development >> Board. >> http://www.enterpoint.co.uk >> >> >> "anand" <writeanand@gmail.com> wrote in message >> news:1150684323.749607.70170@c74g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >> > >You wouldn't really run a stimulus file through it -- you'd need to >> > >use >> >>(or generate) an appropriate stream to run in real life to wiggle the >> >>inputs pins on your FPGA. >> > >> > Thanks Tim. So, if I had to test the application in real life, then I >> > have to stimulate the input pins, correct? So, how do I go about >> > testing on the FPGA as to whether the design actually works in real >> > life (not in simulation)? Assume I have a H.264 stream that I can use. >> > >> > So in the dev board kit they have flash memory, I guess I can probably >> > load the flash memory with the stimulus stream. But question is, how do >> > I make it wiggle the appropriate pins of the FPGA itself, and how do I >> > collect the output to verify it? >> > >> > >> > >> > Tim Wescott wrote: >> >> anand wrote: >> >> >> >> > Hi, >> >> > >> >> > I am a pre-si verification engineer looking to learn HW design, >> >> > synthesis and P&R through FPGAs. (I am already very comfortable >> >> > with >> >> > Verilog, so that is not the issue, I really want to learn to >> >> > "design+synthesize+P&R" as opposed to "code in verilog"). >> >> > >> >> > Recently checked out Spartan dev kit, looks very affordable. >> >> > Questions: >> >> > >> >> > Is this the best way to go (for a hobbyist)? I am willing to spend >> >> > couple 100 $$ on dev kits etc. Ive already downloaded the ISE >> >> > Webpack >> >> > and have full access to Modelsim at work. >> >> >> >> Probably as good as any. >> >> > >> >> > What books should I get for DESIGN & SYNTHESIS (again, not verilog >> >> > coding but "designing" synthesizable code with Verilog). Please >> >> > suggest >> >> > books with and without an FPGA "tilt" or focus if possible. >> >> > >> >> I use Thomas & Moorby's "The Verilog Hardware Description Language", >> >> which is mostly about Verilog but sprinkles in guidance for >> >> synthesizable designs. >> >> > >> >> > Once you do everything and download stuff into the FPGA, how do you >> >> > run >> >> > the application? >> >> >> >> You don't. What's in an FPGA isn't an "application" and it doesn't >> >> "run" in the sense that an application does. Once you've _configured_ >> >> the FPGA you let it loose, and off it goes doing whatever you coded it >> >> to do. >> >> >> >> > For ex, if you design a H.264 encoder (just for example), and the >> >> > FPGA >> >> > already has the code downloaded after Synthesis and P&R stage, how >> >> > can >> >> > I pass an example stimulus file (ie H.264 stream) to see if it works >> >> > correctly? >> >> > >> >> You wouldn't really run a stimulus file through it -- you'd need to >> >> use >> >> (or generate) an appropriate stream to run in real life to wiggle the >> >> inputs pins on your FPGA. >> >> > >> >> > My grand vision is to build a H.264 encoder module in an FPGA, while >> >> > teaching myself good design AND H.264 encoding in the process. >> >> > >> >> > >> >> > Am I missing anything here? Anything else I should know? >> >> > >> >> > Thanks >> >> > >> >> You might want to start out a bit simpler -- I'd suggest blinking the >> >> lights, then maybe blinking the lights under the control of the >> >> switches. >> >> >> >> -- >> >> >> >> Tim Wescott >> >> Wescott Design Services >> >> http://www.wescottdesign.com >> >> >> >> Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/ >> >> >> >> "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" came out in April. >> >> See details at http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html >> > >
Wouldn't it also be possible to use the parallel port of a PC to drive
the inputs of the FPGA and read back the output signals ? (Of course,
some TTL chips might be necessary in addition to that) The PC would
also drive the clock of the FPGA in order to "slow down" the circuit.

frankgerlach@gmail.com schrieb:
> Wouldn't it also be possible to use the parallel port of a PC to drive > the inputs of the FPGA and read back the output signals ? (Of course, > some TTL chips might be necessary in addition to that) The PC would > also drive the clock of the FPGA in order to "slow down" the circuit.
This is possible but not very usefull. A clean simulation is much easier and much more usefull. So learn it the right way from the beginning on. No need to reinvent the wheel. Regards Falk