Multiple device configuration using local update over ethernet

Started by Wilhelm Klink August 5, 2003
Altera have told me it is not possible to perform a multiple device
configuration (typically done by hooking up the nCE/nCEO pins of the
individual FPGAs) when using local update mode (update over ethernet).
 Does anyone know why it isn't possible?  It is not reasonable for a
board with 10 FPGAs to have 10 separate ethernet connections, and
having to update a set of these boards in the field using a
programming cable would be most tedious.
Wilhelm Klink <kommandantklink@hotmail.com> wrote in message
6011e208.0308042011.5bdae5e1@posting.google.com...
> Altera have told me it is not possible to perform a multiple device > configuration (typically done by hooking up the nCE/nCEO pins of the > individual FPGAs) when using local update mode (update over ethernet). > Does anyone know why it isn't possible? It is not reasonable for a > board with 10 FPGAs to have 10 separate ethernet connections, and > having to update a set of these boards in the field using a > programming cable would be most tedious.
Regardless of ethernet, at least for the passive serial configuration mode in SRAM devices, it is possible. I did it.
Yes, you can do it, but can you do it for "local/remote update mode" (ie MSEL2 = 1).