Why is Xilinx's WebPACK so inferior?

Started by Unknown March 20, 2007
steve.lass@xilinx.com wrote:
> The schematic flow is slightly more than maintenance mode. > I would call it minimal improvement mode with most effort focused > on quality. > > Steve > > "Jim Granville" <no.spam@designtools.maps.co.nz> wrote in message > news:46031907$1@clear.net.nz... > >>Thanks. I should have queries Schematic flow as well ? >>as some still use that (see another thread..) - is that in maintenance >>mode as well ? >> >>Of course, maintenance mode can be a good thing, because it >>means the code-base is very stable, with no surprises lurking in the next >>updates.... :) >> >>-jg >> > > >
There is no particular need for improvements but there is a big need to fix it. The schematic flow is totally broken in versions 8.1, 8.2 and 9.1. 8.1 would not import a version 7 project. 8.2 had such a bad memory leak that it would not make it through xst. 9.1 showed no improvement. Your support people sent a fix for part of the memory leak but that showed two more fatal bugs. The ucf file pin assignments get used on submodules and so it thinks there is an error and, if you remove the ucf file to try to go on, it cannot find the libraries and quits. It does however, destroy the project file in the process. I plan on converting these to vhdl but it would be nice to be able to do it in an incremental manner.