URGENT HELP NEEDED: LVDS

Started by GaLaKtIkUs™ March 23, 2007
Hi everybody!
I felt in a very strange situation: I'm working with an FPGA BOARD:
 -2 Virtex-4LX
 -1 Quick LVDS bus between the 2 FPGAs.
 -1 INPUT from an external board.
 -1OUTPUT to the same external board.
I use for these quick interfaces ChipSync (Local clocking ressources
+ISERDES+OSERDES).
When I make my tests for the internal bus (the connection between the
2 FPGAs) I have no problems: >1Gb/s for each LVDS line.
Since the external board is not yet ready to use, I use a small
loopback board to connect the output of my board to the input of the
same boad (the FPGA board). This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I
have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=A on P pin and
B on N pin).
When I make the same tests it doesn't work even on small frequencies.
and the use of IDELAY DOESN'T HELP.

Please help me
Mehdi

"GaLaKtIkUsT" <taileb.mehdi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I > have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=A on P pin and > B on N pin).
1. I doubt anyone can understand your description above. Are you trying to say that the wires are crossed on the board? 2. Use a scope. /Mikhail
On Mar 23, 8:45 am, "MM" <m...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "GaLaKtIkUsT" <taileb.me...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:1174626985.784318.16210@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > > > > > This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I > > have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=A on P pin and > > B on N pin). > > 1. I doubt anyone can understand your description above. Are you trying to > say that the wires are crossed on the board? > 2. Use a scope. > > /Mikhail
They are not crossed like X. the problem is the following if we try (using the loop back board) to get P pin on P pin and N pin on N pin we will be obliged to cross the wires (make an X on the board). To avoid this the guy ho made that loopback board decided to send the P to N and N to P and says that the only problem will the inversion of the logic levels. I reformulate my question in more simple terms: I LVDS pins are crossed what would be the result? only inversion of logic levels or more? Mehdi
On Mar 23, 1:49 am, "GaLaKtIkUs=E2=84=A2" <taileb.me...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 23, 8:45 am, "MM" <m...@yahoo.com> wrote: > > > "GaLaKtIkUsT" <taileb.me...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > >news:1174626985.784318.16210@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > > > > This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I > > > have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=3DA on P pin a=
nd
> > > B on N pin). > > > 1. I doubt anyone can understand your description above. Are you trying=
> > say that the wires are crossed on the board? > > 2. Use a scope. > > > /Mikhail > > They are not crossed like X. the problem is the following if we try > (using the loop back board) to get P pin on P pin and N pin on N pin > we will be obliged to cross the wires (make an X on the board). To > avoid this the guy ho made that loopback board decided to send the P > to N and N to P and says that the only problem will the inversion of > the logic levels. > I reformulate my question in more simple terms: > I LVDS pins are crossed what would be the result? only inversion of > logic levels or more? > Mehdi
If the loop-back board crosses the wires, then I assume that out-N --> loop board --> in-P and out-P --> loop-board --> in-N. If this is true, then yes, the signal is inverted. Make a simple test to verify this. -Dave Pollum
GaLaKtIkUs&trade; wrote:
> On Mar 23, 8:45 am, "MM" <m...@yahoo.com> wrote: >> "GaLaKtIkUsT" <taileb.me...@gmail.com> wrote in message >> >> news:1174626985.784318.16210@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... >> >> >> >>> This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I >>> have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=A on P pin and >>> B on N pin). >> 1. I doubt anyone can understand your description above. Are you trying to >> say that the wires are crossed on the board? >> 2. Use a scope. >> >> /Mikhail > > They are not crossed like X. the problem is the following if we try > (using the loop back board) to get P pin on P pin and N pin on N pin > we will be obliged to cross the wires (make an X on the board). To > avoid this the guy ho made that loopback board decided to send the P > to N and N to P and says that the only problem will the inversion of > the logic levels. > I reformulate my question in more simple terms: > I LVDS pins are crossed what would be the result? only inversion of > logic levels or more? > Mehdi
1) Are you using 8B10B or some similar coding? 2) use a scope
On Mar 23, 5:21 pm, John_H <newsgr...@johnhandwork.com> wrote:
> GaLaKtIkUs=E2=84=A2 wrote: > > On Mar 23, 8:45 am, "MM" <m...@yahoo.com> wrote: > >> "GaLaKtIkUsT" <taileb.me...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > >>news:1174626985.784318.16210@n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com... > > >>> This board INVERTS LVDS PAIRS ie: if I > >>> have an output {XP,XN} I get the input {XN,XP}. ({A,B}=3DA on P pin a=
nd
> >> say that the wires are crossed on the board? > >> 2. Use a scope. > > >> /Mikhail > > > They are not crossed like X. the problem is the following if we try > > (using the loop back board) to get P pin on P pin and N pin on N pin > > we will be obliged to cross the wires (make an X on the board). To > > avoid this the guy ho made that loopback board decided to send the P > > to N and N to P and says that the only problem will the inversion of > > the logic levels. > > I reformulate my question in more simple terms: > > I LVDS pins are crossed what would be the result? only inversion of > > logic levels or more? > > Mehdi > > 1) Are you using 8B10B or some similar coding? > 2) use a scope
8B10B is not used. using a scope is not possible!! I rewrote my HDL code from the beggining and it worked. The problem was in wrong use of OSERDES. Now I'm transmitting at 16x1Gb/s. Thank you for having taken time to answer Mehdi