microblaze firmware + UART handshaking blues

Started by Unknown February 10, 2008
chrisdekoh@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi, > > 1) Does a microprocessor in debug mode run on a slower clock? I din > know that
Sometimes cpus will run slower when you are using a debugger (for example, the debugger might have tracing features that require the cpu's cache to be disabled, or it might "simplify" the processor in other ways). However, I think what Alex meant was that the debug compile flags will generate slower code than when you pick flags for more optimisation. When using debug flags, the compiler will try to keep the structure of your program intact (such as its loops and functions), to make it easier to follow with a debugger. When doing full optimisation, the compiler will do more inlining and loop unrolling if that makes the code smaller and/or faster.
> 2) under what circumstances should what variables be volatile? >
A variable should be "volatile" to indicate that its value might be read or changed without the compiler knowing about it (including being accessed from another C function if the compiler does not know that it may also run at any time, such as an interrupt function or a separate thread). mvh., David
> Chris > > > On Feb 14, 5:58 am, Alex Freed <al...@mirrow.com> wrote: >> GMM50 wrote: >>> Hi All: >>> This may indeed be a problem but how does debug make it all work. >>> george >> In my experience the most common scenario is a lack of "volatile" >> keyword. Debug version turns optimization off and release version >> optimizes a read of a hardware register out, 'cause it doesn't know it >> is hardware and nothing in the code changes it's value. >> >> The second possibility is a race condition. Dubug version may execute >> more slowly. >> >> -Alex. >
 DONT look for incorrect code  !

  write correct code .

 It should have occurred to you the

 s/w you bought could never create

 good bug free code !

   The authors had no intention to sell

 you a better way to generate code !

 There is only one way to write good

 code , write it all , yourself .

  You begin by sending serial ( rs232 or SPI)

 strings to ARM , running them .

 The ones that dont crash and light up the

 red , green , and blue LEDs in the right

 order are your "tutorial" .

  Learn to create code that assembles

 and stores short Forth primatives in a

 dictionary , so you can use these primatives

 to help you create higher level sequences

 of code .

  Chuck  Moore did this in the 70's , in Tucson
 to  put many programmers out of a job .
 He created  Forth ( the simplist method to
 program).

  You will save many months of "learning" curve
 by not reading thick s/w manuals , you can
 charcterize the ARM yourself , with Forth , in
  minutes , and save the results to the Forth
 dictionary , to aide others .

 There is no future , for M$ , C , Linux ,
 and the PC ...

  why not study modern techniques and
  burn your s/w "Books" ?

  All critical s/w is written
  NOT using C , and
  NOT using available assemblers
  Not using Linux ,
  Not using Intel , AMD cpu's

   More than 2.5 billion A.R.M cpu's
  on this earth , the Thumb-2 instruction
  set is used more than the 32 bit instructions
  cause its faster !

   The ST electronics company makes
  ST-710-FZ2  ARM 7 , has 144 pins
  6 mhz I/O ,
  internal 65 K SRAM and huge flash .
  It will be configured with 32MB PSRAM .
  and a non-prop USB 480 mb/s serial
  port ( "Hi-Speed... Run Length Limited h/w).

  PC is dead ,

   ARM-BC ( business computer follows)

   KC7CC

"werty" <werty@swissinfo.org> wrote in message
> > DONT look for incorrect code ! > > > write correct code . > > > It should have occurred to you the
<snip> etc. etc. Is it me?? Dave.
Dave wrote:
> "werty" <werty@swissinfo.org> wrote in message >> >> DONT look for incorrect code ! >> write correct code . >> It should have occurred to you the > > <snip> > > etc. etc. Is it me??
>> DONT look for incorrect code ! >> write correct code . >> It should have occurred to you the > ><snip> > >etc. etc.
>Is it me??
No, it's him - like one of those Japanese soldiers holed up on an island, still waiting for orders long after the war was lost. Mike