Are Virtex-5 FPGA Handbook or Altera latest Handbooks available to sell?

Started by Weng Tianxiang May 28, 2009
Hi,
I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download
prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order.

So that I bought Virtex-4 FPGA Handbook for $10 years ago, and I want
to buy Virtex-5 FPGA Handbook too, but cannot find the related
information.

I also want to buy Altera's Data Handbook.

I will appreciate if anyone can pose the website for these books if
they are available.

Thank you.

Weng
On May 28, 11:07 am, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, > I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download > prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > So that I bought Virtex-4 FPGA Handbook for $10 years ago, and I want > to buy Virtex-5 FPGA Handbook too, but cannot find the related > information. > > I also want to buy Altera's Data Handbook. > > I will appreciate if anyone can pose the website for these books if > they are available. > > Thank you. > > Weng
Chip makers stopped printing manuals years ago. You can often get flyers and short brochures from salesmen, but otherwise, it is all electronic. I think it was some ten years ago that I asked a salesman for a printed copy and he printed it off on his printer. At that point I gave up and came over to the dark side... I still like my magazines in print. It is hard to drag the keyboard and monitor into the ... uh, reading room. But even those are getting smaller with links to "the complete article" on the web. Rick
On May 29, 3:29=A0pm, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 11:07 am, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > Hi, > > I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download > > prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > > So that I bought Virtex-4 FPGA Handbook for $10 years ago, and I want > > to buy Virtex-5 FPGA Handbook too, but cannot find the related > > information. > > > I also want to buy Altera's Data Handbook. > > > I will appreciate if anyone can pose the website for these books if > > they are available. > > > Thank you. > > > Weng > > Chip makers stopped printing manuals years ago. =A0You can often get > flyers and short brochures from salesmen, but otherwise, it is all > electronic. =A0I think it was some ten years ago that I asked a salesman > for a printed copy and he printed it off on his printer. =A0At that > point I gave up and came over to the dark side... > > I still like my magazines in print. =A0It is hard to drag the keyboard > and monitor into the ... uh, reading room. =A0But even those are getting > smaller with links to "the complete article" on the web. > > Rick
Sounds like it's time to drag your web-enabled mobile PC to the "reading room" :-)

http://www.google.com/search?q=kindle+dx
On May 29, 2:57=A0pm, Mike Treseler <mtrese...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Weng Tianxiang wrote: > > I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download > > prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dkindle+dx
Hi Mike, I know you are not kidding, but after I saw the search result, I immediately realized it may be a good idea some years later after the electronic reader is maturized. Otherwise it would be replaced every 2 or 3 years like PC. Weng
On May 29, 12:29=A0pm, rickman <gnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 28, 11:07 am, Weng Tianxiang <wtx...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > > > > Hi, > > I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download > > prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > > So that I bought Virtex-4 FPGA Handbook for $10 years ago, and I want > > to buy Virtex-5 FPGA Handbook too, but cannot find the related > > information. > > > I also want to buy Altera's Data Handbook. > > > I will appreciate if anyone can pose the website for these books if > > they are available. > > > Thank you. > > > Weng > > Chip makers stopped printing manuals years ago. =A0You can often get > flyers and short brochures from salesmen, but otherwise, it is all > electronic. =A0I think it was some ten years ago that I asked a salesman > for a printed copy and he printed it off on his printer. =A0At that > point I gave up and came over to the dark side... > > I still like my magazines in print. =A0It is hard to drag the keyboard > and monitor into the ... uh, reading room. =A0But even those are getting > smaller with links to "the complete article" on the web. > > Rick- Hide quoted text - > > - Show quoted text -
Hi Rick, I have 4 versions of handbooks from Xilinx: Virtex II Platform FPGA Handbook (v1.0), publishing date: 12/06/00; Virtex II PRO Platform FPGA Handbook (v2.0), publishing date: October, 14, 2002; Spartan-3 Platform FPGA Handbook (1.0), publishing date: July 11, 2003; Virtex-4 Platform FPGA Handbook (v1.0), publishing date: 08/02/04. They are priceless data resources and the windows to look into Xilinx's technology develop progression. It is very impressive to me that all books have no ISBN number and all Xilinx handbooks have no entries in Amazon website, it means all handbook owners don't want to sell any of them on second book markets. Weng
"Mike Treseler" <mtreseler@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Weng Tianxiang wrote: > >> I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download >> prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > http://www.google.com/search?q=kindle+dx
A not unreasonable alternative today is to take the same $500 and buy a good double sided network printer (HP P2015N) and a 19 ring comb binder. OTOH, I might be just sore that I spent my $500 and did just that. For sure, either way is faster, more convenient, and overall cheaper than sending every document to Kinkos for printing. I have a few reservations about the Kindle DX. If you have one and use it for, specifically, Xilinx and similar other PDF documents, can you fill me in on how well it's working for you? I'm mostly interested in comparing ease of use to printed, letter size documents. Is the screen a full letter size page in size? If not, is it reasonably easy to zoom and navigate? How easy is it to download your documents to the device? Can you at least minimally search the document for specific text? Does it work well with the PDF table of contents and bookmarks? I'm not especially keen on the wireless service charges, and would prefer to focus on its equivalence to a printed page. Thanks.
On May 29, 9:15=A0pm, "MikeWhy" <boat042-nos...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Mike Treseler" <mtrese...@gmail.com> wrote in message > > news:78b42pF1lj91bU1@mid.individual.net... > > > Weng Tianxiang wrote: > > >> I don't like to print download version of many documents. The download > >> prints are huge and not easy to keep them in order. > > >http://www.google.com/search?q=3Dkindle+dx > > A not unreasonable alternative today is to take the same $500 and buy a g=
ood
> double sided network printer (HP P2015N) and a 19 ring comb binder. OTOH,=
> might be just sore that I spent my $500 and did just that. For sure, eith=
er
> way is faster, more convenient, and overall cheaper than sending every > document to Kinkos for printing. > > I have a few reservations about the Kindle DX. If you have one and use it > for, specifically, Xilinx and similar other PDF documents, can you fill m=
> in on how well it's working for you? I'm mostly interested in comparing e=
ase
> of use to printed, letter size documents. Is the screen a full letter siz=
> page in size? If not, is it reasonably easy to zoom and navigate? How eas=
> is it to download your documents to the device? Can you at least minimall=
> search the document for specific text? Does it work well with the PDF tab=
le
> of contents and bookmarks? I'm not especially keen on the wireless servic=
> charges, and would prefer to focus on its equivalence to a printed page. > Thanks.
Quite frankly I would think that the whole idea of Kindle misses the original point of having the book in print. If you want an electronic reader, your PC is still better than Kindle. If you want the convenience of printed pages you can cover your desk with, mark up, quickly scan through, etc. you still really want a print. Maybe Xilinx is missing an opportunity to sell printed user guides, but my guess is that the real reason printed manuals are going away is the rate at which the data becomes obsolete or otherwise irrelevant. One of my colleagues here likes to print the user guides reduced to half-size thereby getting 4 pages to a sheet of letter paper. Then bound along the long side you can see four pages at a time. Try that on a PC screen... Regards, Gabor
Hi, I searched the website for FPGA Handbook and found two used books from Xilinx: http://www.findbookprices.com/search/?isbn=3DFPGA+handbook One is Spartan-3 Platform FPGA Handbook; another is Virtex-II Pro Platform FPGA Handbook. What surprised me is their asking prices for those used books: $99.99 + $3.95 mailing fee each. Weng
"gabor" <gabor@alacron.com> wrote in message
One of my colleagues here likes to print the user
guides reduced to half-size thereby getting 4 pages to a sheet
of letter paper.  Then bound along the long side you can see
four pages at a time.  Try that on a PC screen...

======
Try that past your 46th birtday. ;) And yes, as strange as it sounds, the
apparent disorder of stacked and piled documents and detritus on desktops
and workbenches have significance and utility to their makers. One of the
conclusions of a Microsoft study is that the folder heirarchy suits the
computer, not the user.